Really struggling today after breaking up this week.

I posted on here once before about some issues me and my boyfriend were having. But since then something amazing happened and everything got better. So much better. We talked about what we needed from eachother and ever since I was so happy.

We just got back from a trip to Arkansas where he had a job interview. He was introducing me to people as "the future bride to be", he told me he wasn't going to accept the job if I couldn't see myself living there. He acted so head over heels in love with me, and I was the same way.

Then 4 days ago I tried addressing an issue in our relationship that had been bothering me. It wasn't even supposed to be a big deal and I rarely ever bring up issues in the relationship. He then flew off the handle, told me "we obviously haven't been doing well for awhile" (which was news to me) and he broke up with me.

Since the breakup I've been staying with friends and doing whatever I can to not think about how upset I am. Last night he called me to tell me he missed me and he was sorry he couldn't have been a better boyfriend to me. He asked if there was anyway we could try to stay friends because he can't stand the thought of losing his best friend. I of course told him no. I told him I loved him but if he didn't want to be with me anymore then I needed space so I could heal.

I haven't heard back from him. And today is the first day I've been alone since the break up. I know that it's still fresh but I am hurting so bad today. I am the only one out of all of my friends that isn't married. I feel so alone and I've been through this with so many guys. Every time I let my guard down and fall for someone, they end up hurting me. What is wrong with me? How am I supposed to love again after this has happened to me so many times? I loved him and it's killing me knowing that he is willing to just give up and there is no good reason why! I just want this pain to go away, I'm so tired of never being the girl whose good enough to end up with someone.

Maybe there is an issue, but you have to weigh out issues. Is the issue of THAT importance that you are willing to risk your relationship for it? And him saying "i don't want to be with you anymore" might be just out of a whim, i would suggest to be bf/gf again to him, since you two clearly still love each other. I think this action was too dramatic.

The issue was me, him and his mom were on a trip together the week before. We ate at a restaurant that made me very I'll. I was actually vomiting and I passed out from the stomach pains. And instead of him staying with me, he left me to go get medicine with his mom. And they were gone for am hour. In which upset me because I didn't feel like he was there for me.

When I addressed it all I tried to say was next time I would like it if he would at least offer to stay with me.

When I brought this up he had every excuse in the book for why he left. He was irritated that I even brought it up.

His mom was the one going to get the medicine. Then I heard him say "hang on mom, I'll go with you" they were gone for an hour because they also went grocery shopping while they were gone.

It just hurt my feelings is all. Considering I was literally laying on the floor in terrible pain I don't think I was out of line getting my feelings hurt that they left.

• 1 month later...
I feel like a fool. Everything he felt for me must have been fake if he broke up for those reasons. Maybe it's my taste in men, but it's hard to not feel like I'm just not good enough. He's got me so down

I know i'm a little late on this thread but don't think like that. He obviously loved you but just the little hings kept building up intil it bursted. Maybe better communication would have helped but its gone past the point of return. You just have to focus on urself now and do what makes you happy.

Be strong!

When I brought this up he had every excuse in the book for why he left. He was irritated that I even brought it up.

I don't understand how someone who actually thought of you as his future wife, could have such a low tolerance level for an issue that you happened to bring up. An issue that caused you distress, but that you were willing to overlook. Is it that hard to be compassionate these days? All you needed was an acknowledgement that he felt bad about you being upset. It's something that could've been so easily resolved. How did he get from there to "I can't do this anymore"? Those little things he couldn't stand about you...were they THAT bad? He was able to look past all that for so long. Everybody has things they don't like about each other. It just blows my mind the lack of patience and understanding here, and in a similar situation that I've experienced recently. Hope you've been able to put this nightmare behind you by now.

SarahJane, I understand how you are feeling, as I am going through a breakup and beating myself up over it as well. Please do not do that. I know it's hard (I'm forcing myself too right now) but know that you are better than being treated like this and that you deserve so much more. If this guy really loved you the way you thought he did, he would not have just cut and run like that without talking it through. I agree with what Dave_1966 says, that he was looking for a reason to leave so the first thing that happened, he used as an excuse. Let him go. He is not worth it.

I have a pattern of making poor choices in men and letting people treat me poorly, and that is something I need to work on. It sounds like you do as well. As one of my friends told me, "we accept the love we think we deserve." Please know that you deserve much more than this jerk. Focus on healing yourself, get strong, do things that make you feel better, and you will move on. I know how hard it is, trust me, I'm right there in the middle of this too - bursting into tears, not sleeping, not being able to feel good about anything right now. Just know that we will get through this. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. But do not stick around and let this guy treat you this way. Just keep reminding yourself that it is his loss.

Archived