A little vent about a quote of my mom

Lucha

She literally said "the actual point of going to a psychiatrist is him talking about himself as to show you there are worse things in life than your problems or a break-up" ........................

As an assistant-psychiatrist and as a dumpee; I am stunned by this quote.... I can't even begin to describe how this pissed me off....... I had to bite my tongue to not start an argument.

* unbelievable *

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

My Mom knows nothing about Mental health.

She thinks:

* Those suffering from (Clinical Depression) should "think more positive" or "look in the bright side".

* Those Suffering from Anxiety should "calm down"

* Those that are suicidal or harm themselves are spoiled and inconsiderate.

you would be suprised how many think that way ...it makes you cringe doesn't it ....I think that is one reason why I am always prattling on about MH ...just to be " out there " with the truth .

She literally said "the actual point of going to a psychiatrist is him talking about himself as to show you there are worse things in life than your problems or a break-up" ........................

As an assistant-psychiatrist and as a dumpee; I am stunned by this quote.... I can't even begin to describe how this pissed me off....... I had to bite my tongue to not start an argument.

* unbelievable *

You do realize that your mom's opinion about psychiatry holds no weight with those who practice it, right?

What is an assistant psychiatrist? I've never heard of such a thing. My understanding of this stuff is that a Psychiatrist is first, an MD, then specializes with more training.

You do realize that your mom's opinion about psychiatry holds no weight with those who practice it, right?

What is an assistant psychiatrist? I've never heard of such a thing. My understanding of this stuff is that a Psychiatrist is first, an MD, then specializes with more training.

Yeah exactly I got my MD degree a year ago.

Now she accuses me of causing her and my dad that much stress that he can't have sex anymore.......... Really, what kind of mother says this????????

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

what ?!!!!

there is obviously a lot of history going on here and she is clearly attacking you from all angles..your career to her sex life ..

>>Now she accuses me of causing her and my dad that much stress that he can't have sex anymore.......... Really, what kind of mother says this????????

OK, this i where you stop talking to her about your issues or anything you know will trigger this kinds of exchanges. If you need to talk about those things, do it with sympathetic friends or your own counselor. She is who she is and I doubt will change at her age, and if this is how she reacts to certain discussions or issues, then talking about them with your parents won't change anything. Figure out where her hot points are and avoid them, and don't expect her to turn into a good mother just because you wish she was one.

Archived