Boyfriend broke up with me but I want him back!

I hope someone can help me. I have just broken up with my boyfriend of eight months. We are both 20 years old, we dated for a while back in high school and recently got back together in June, after two years. Things were amazing from the start to the end of the relationship, but I always had a problem with him never texting or communicating as much as I would have wanted him to. We both originally come from the same city but have moved out to go to different universities so we only saw each other every two weeks. Every argument we had was about his lack of communication but as he is super busy with uni and work I always forgave him and gave him the benefit of the doubt. He also does sports and trains full time so he has a lot on. Last week, after many arguments about the same situation, he realised that I was not happy.

He wants to be a good boyfriend to me but finds it hard to keep in touch and text and call regularly. Even though I admitted to myself that I was indeed not happy, I told him I would understand and adapt to it because I want to be with him with all my heart. He wants to be with me too and we still love each other very much but he thinks it's unfair for me to stay around when he knows that I deserve someone that can give me more attention. That is why he broke up with me. We kissed and said we loved each other when we said goodbye and my heart has been in pain ever since.

We have not spoken for a few days and I miss him very much. I want to get back together with him but Im not sure how to go about it. I know he wants to be with me but he is letting his busy life get in the way. All I want from him is to make more time to talk to me but it seems like he is not able to do this because of his busy schedule. I have not been eating or sleeping, I just need him back in my life

My question is, if he really loved me would he so easily let me go like this? How do I go about trying to talk to him again? He assured me that I can come to him if I need anything at all but I am in too much pain to just be friends with him right now and the only reason why I would want to contact him is to tell him how much I miss and want him back - I'm also scared that he'll reject me for the same reason despite him still being in love with me. I'm not sure what to do

Its time to move on. This happens at your age as people start to explore who they are and who they want to be. You are making excuses and "If he would just" and that's never good. It would serve you best to learn that adult relationships are about compromise, not 100% attention.

It hurts but you will survive. Learn from this.

All anyone can do is give you their best guess but it sounds like he wants to move on and is trying to let you down easy.

You'll be at different universitys for a number of years and it may be he doesn't want to tie himself down. University is usually a time to try new things and experiment.

When I was at university most long distance relationships didn't last. If it was me, I'd move on and enjoy my school years. Who knows what the future may bring.

Every argument we had was about his lack of communication but as he is super busy with uni and work I always forgave him and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

You've had this argument multiple times, and each time you 'forgave' him he understood that peace would last only until the next argument. And he knew that there would be a next argument, because he would not be changing his communication pattern.

Even though I admitted to myself that I was indeed not happy, I told him I would understand and adapt to it because I want to be with him with all my heart.

See above. He's heard all of this before. It's a repeating pattern, and he's clear that it will not change.

This guy did the kindest exit he could muster for both of you. He's clear that he will not be as accountable as you want in a BF, so he made the right choice.

Your grief is natural. When you're past it you'll date again, and I'd make it a point to avoid cementing a relationship with any guy who doesn't match your communication style. Otherwise, you'll feel ripped off all the time, and he'll feel pressured all the time--that's what happened here, and you've learned how that ends.

Head high.

Thank you all for your comments, I know that it is for the best but it is very hard to adapt to losing someone I loved very much. I have exams in a few weeks and I am very worried that this break up is going to have a detrimental effect.

I called him last night and told him I wasn't adapting very well - he said that it's been really hard for him too but that it just takes time. He apologised for everything and he said that if he had the time he would obviously be with me, but he physically can't. But I know that if he had the time to text/call/communicate he would.

We are planning to meet up next week just to hang out but I'm not sure whether this is just going to delay my healing process. I know that I am forcing a friendship way too soon right now but I just can't seem to fathom losing him and letting go of what we had because it was very special and we both know it is a shame that we had to let it go.

Oh my god, reading your post is like reflecting on what I had gone through since the end of September. Except my ex and I are 19 years old. He was really bad with communicating, I'm talking about not being able to send me 1 text a day I even tried suggesting talking every other day, but that failed too. It's been nearly two months of BU and NC, and I'm still hurting every single day, and asking myself the same question that you are: "If he really loved me, would he have let me go this easily?". He started having doubts of our near three year relationship within a month of him starting university. It still pains me to this day.

Archived