Why does it take me a while for things to hit me ?

Telly986

I suffer from short term memory loss. For instance lets say I plan to empty the garbage bag before going to work. I could easily forget about it and remember when I already left the house. They are countless times when I would forget to put my lunch in my bag for work etc. Its crazy

In addition, what bothers me the most it takes me a while for things to sink in. When my mom passed away, i didn't cry but it then hit me years later. Lets say if someone says something to me that offend me or that got under my skin, i get tongue tied and cant think of any good come back but then later on I start thinking of things I could have said and I would be like dam I should have said this and that but I don't think of those things at the spot when it happens. I hate this about myself. How can I change ?

We all think about what we should have said later. And a lot of us forget easily. I can be in the kitchen and think I need a screwdriver that's in the basement and forget why I'm in the basement when I get there.

As far as grieving goes, we all do that in our own way. Some can deal with grief immediately, others tuck it away and process it later.

Don't worry, you sound perfectly normal to me

Are you on any type of medication that affects memory, such as a psychotropic drug? Do you smoke weed or drink? How is your diet? I've noticed that when I abstain from alcohol, my memory is better overall, and that when I take B-vitamins I feel sharper. And of course we all know about weed and STM.

Are you on any type of medication that affects memory, such as a psychotropic drug? Do you smoke weed or drink? How is your diet? I've noticed that when I abstain from alcohol, my memory is better overall, and that when I take B-vitamins I feel sharper. And of course we all know about weed and STM.

I am not on any medications and I don't drink.However I might be vitamin B dificiency

I am much the same way, if not worse, lol. I am terrible with this.

I am presently in a class on 'Emotional health' and we're discussing mindfullness, etc.

How about trying to 'focus' more on the task at hand? Slow things down a bit.

I get overhwhelmed very easily and my mind can 'shut down'. I do the same, thinking I have to go brush my teeth.. then go to kitchen. What i end up doing, a minute later, is bypassing b-room and on to the kitchen.

I even had an incident about a yr ago, where i was have an argument with my son and actually had to ask him what it was we were arguing about? I totally lost all. Can be very annoying.

But as I mentioned.. we're learning mindfullness techniques. Deep breathing.. calm down.. focus on the task at hand, etc.

Could be life is crazy so you can't manage to remember things.. forget too easily, stressed, etc.

All in all, we all forget things. Maybe use post it note.. put on fridge? or calendar...

1) take garbage out

2) do you have your lunch? etc

Try these idea's out. gd luck.

Archived