Studying Abroad advice wanted

renewing

Hi, so I am a Junior at a LAC in the USA. I definitely want to study abroad for a full year next year because I don't like how cooped up I feel at this college and how limited my opportunities are for making new friends, researching, and career networking (as well as just having fun!)

I'm coming up to the point where I really have to decide on a program of study abroad. I have narrowed it down to two options. A year in England or a year in the Netherlands.

So here's why I can't decide what to choose:

--Both are basically equal academically. On World Rankings as a university, the one in England is higher on the list, but for World Rankings in terms of the subject I study, Netherlands is higher.

--My boyfriend is from and lives in England full time, and he can't move away from the country. If I study abroad this year it will be our first time together for that long of a time (I've only ever been in the same location as him once for 4 months and another time for 7 weeks). I feel like it would be a good choice to go to England to allow our relationship room to grow and everything.

--The main reason I've been considering the Netherlands now is that I've been to England many times and, while I do love it, part of me feels like maybe I should branch out and try something new that I won't get the opportunity to ever do in the future. I have EU citizenship and I am already planning on applying to UK graduate schools after college, whereas the Netherlands would be impossible to live in for a year.

--My Bf said he could also visit me in the Netherlands but I'm sure it won't be as good as living in the same city.

--A problem with the Netherlands is that the program is 10 months long rather than 8 months, which is what I'm used to and what is the length of the program in England.

--I'm also concerned that, in the Netherlands, the winter break is only 2 weeks long, and I am used to having about 4 weeks and would prefer to have a longer break...

What should I choose?

Archived