Ex contacted me after a long time with a very strange request

My ex emailed me out of the blue over a year after the breakup. It was a very short email requesting me to mail an item that was given to him by his best friend ( to my knowledge they are still best friends). I was surprised because 1) it was a very messy breakup and 2) the last time I mailed him his things ( during the breakup) he didnt so much as thank me for it. I don't have too many experiences with breakups so what could be his reason for doing this?? I find it strange because there's been no contact pretty much the whole time. Also, if the friend is still in his life, why cant he just get it replaced? I wrote back and told him I don't have it, only for him to literally only write back " its in ______" ( place he thinks its in)

I actually haven't checked if i still have it but...do i owe it to him to mail it to him even though he treated me like trash in the past? Should i write back telling him off? Should I just delete and ignore?

By the way, I don't want him back whatsoever. He burned the bridges too badly, and he would never be welcomed back by family/friends. Also, I've raised my standards since him and couldn't risk subjecting myself to that mistreatment ever again!

Ignore him. You don't owe it to him and why should you pay money and go to the time and effort of sending something back a freaking year later? Honestly it sounds like he's fishing to try and get a toehold in your life again or is just weird, maybe the friend got mad at him for leaving it? If he gets obnoxious and starts to really pester you then send one brief message telling him you'll send it C.O.D. so he pays for the inconvenience and to not bother you again, you want nothing to do with him.

Don't bother. It is just a way for him to control you after the fact. I had a falling out with a girlfriend once, and I fell for this nonsense. She wanted the birthday present she gave me back. So, I left it at the front dest of my condo-no problem. A week or so later she called and asked for her Christmas present back. I called her back and told her to leave me alone.

It's just a control thing.

It is strange, and kind of rude IMO. Sort of like if someone you hadn't seen in a long time, anyone, came up to you out of the blue without so much as a "hi, how have you been doing?" but simply walks up to you and goes "Got my things I left at your house a year ago? Mail it to me, ok."

Uhh. And hi right back at ya. ?!

I personally would just tell him again, sorry man, all your stuff was removed a long time ago. take care now. and leave it at that.

I cant find the item that he is referring to. I likely threw it away after all. I wouldn't have a reason to hold onto something of his.

I thought it was kind of rude too. I just want him to leave me alone! He hurt me so badly in the past; he ignored me when i reached out to him, and now he wants me to do him a favor? Where was my mercy when I needed it? How about when i actually did pay to mail his things and he didn't appreciate or acknowledge it? I just don't want to be made into a fool, and it looks like that's exactly what hes trying to do.

Then just ignore him and block and delete him from being able to reach you. Your silence and unreachability will say more than a million words ever could. Although you're permitted one text that simply says "can't find it, it's been a year, now buzz off." Talk about your clueless self-absorbed idiot. Who does that?

Archived