He wants me back. Should I?

CedarsGirl

If a couple was fighting for quiet a few months now and the guy was feeling miserable, but recently he met a girl and thought to himself what if I could be happier with someone else and left his girlfriend. The breakup was because of all the fights not the girl. He didn't leave for her but she was a factor because it made him curious to know what else was out there. If as soon as he left his girlfriend he tried to get to know this other girl a few days after, but then even if the girl was flirting back with him, he came running back to his girlfriend realizing he made the biggest mistake of his life and that he was weak and depressed but wanted to spend the rest of his life with his ex even if there are fights sometimes. Do you think this guy should be forgiven for blowing up the relationship for a girl he just met? For thinking about her while he was still with me? Is this a normal attitude if he wasn't happy? The fights are over now and he is acknowledging that he was the reason for them to happen in the first place. He says he will prove to me he is worth it and I am so confused. I still love him but I am disappointed.. What do you think? Is it unforgivable? Does it mean he will eventually do it again? Or that he will learn from his mistake?

No, it is not unforgivable. No, it does not mean he will eventually do it again. And yes, it is possible for him to learn from his mistake.

I feel you can go ahead and forgive him. The relationship was rocky and it was actually a good thing this happened because it opened his eyes. However, never tell him that. And let him back in slowly. That is very, very important. You can't just take him back like nothing happened. He must learn that there are consequences to his actions or he will be more inclined to do it again. So, yes, you can get back with him exclusively eventually. I say wait 2 weeks, but don't tell him that of course. Get back together slowly. Let him do most of the reaching out.

Tell him you are not comfortable getting back in the relationship just yet but you are willing to work on the issues. Like I said, if you go back to him right away you will be picking up where you left off and he may run again. But, if you make him work to get back into your good graces he will appreciate you more. Also, you guys will TRULY be working on your issues and the relationship will be better.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with giving someone a second chance.

However, I'd be wary of the fact that his response to any problems in the relationship is not to discuss it with you, or break up, but to go find someone else.

Your situation sounds like it just didn't work out with this other person, so he's back.

I think I would wait a long time before reinstating this relationship.

Archived