It gets better.

Hi, I just wanted to come back and post a quick update hoping it helps at least one person. I broke up with my ex earlier this year in march after 9 years. We lived together and were looking at houses but he ended up breaking up with me for a younger co worker. I was devastated. Its like the world is a different place and you cant see how you are ever going to be happy again. I'm a hopeless romantic but after he broke my heart I became angry and bitter. How could I trust anyone again? How can I love someone again when they can do that to me ? Everyone tells you that it will get better, they will regret it, plenty more fish etc but at the time its so hard to see anything other than how heartbroken you are.

Its coming up to 7 months now for me and i just want to tell you it does get better. Its hard and you have to take one day at a time but the pain slowly gets less and less. I still miss him but I know I'm ok and more importantly can live without him. There are 7 odd billion people in the world, 1 person does not define me or my happiness. I saw him just over a month ago and he is still with the girl and yet kissed me. It was then that I decided to take him down from that pedestal I put him on. He isn't the person I fell in love with. I will always love him. We had some amazing memories but I cant forgive him. He choose to leave me instead of work things out. That was his choice and as hard as that is to understand for me I have to respect it but its my choice how I deal with it and I choose not to wait around for him.

I've just started seeing someone new and he is amazing. I'm taking it slow cos I'm not 100% ready yet to jump straight in but I've been honest with him about it and he understands. I still think about my ex but not as much. Life has to go on. Get out there and do something you always wanted to do. I always wanted to volunteer so I contacted a charity and volunteer once a week. That's how I met this new man. I know its hard and there are so many questions ( most of which will never be answered) and it feels like you will never be happy again but just take it one day at a time and I promise it will get better. Take care x

Archived