Meeting The Parents

bambii

I've been seeing my boyfriend for about 5 months now. I am absolutely in love with him but the words have not been said yet. His longest relationship in the past was 6 months and he has never introduced a girl to his parents before. His family lives abroad and his dad is visiting for a week this Friday. He has made no mention of me meeting him yet and I'm a bit nervous that I won't. Now, I know this is a big step for him seeing as I would be the first and I would be understanding if he did not, I am just curious if it is wrong for me to feel hurt if I don't meet him? Should I ask if I get to meet his dad or would this be unnecessary pressure on my boyfriend. Also, I have met and am relatively close to all of his friends and he has met my entire family.

If his culture dictates that he only introduces a woman when he is going to propose to her, then I would not count on a meeting. If that is not the case, it might depend on the dad's schedule. I wouldn't be nervous that you WON'T meet him. I would just be prepared either way. Honestly, if he is coming this Friday, I would speak up and tell your boyfriend that you are glad he is getting some one on one time while his dad is here, but maybe the two of you could take his dad out to dinner one night (or both cook for him at your bf's place). It wouldn't hurt to ask about what his dad's interests are so you have something to talk about. It is not too much pressure if you ask that. You are supposed to be able to talk to your boyfriend. Don't beg. Just ask. Also, maybe your boyfriend spends a lot of time with you and just figures that you will be joining him on all of his plans and therefore hasn't given a second thought to asking you to do so.

Oh, and your bf could just be as nervous - wondering if you would want to meet his dad and wonder what you think it means, too.

If I were you I would tell him that I'd love to meet his father and see where he got all his amazing qualities (not "do I get to meet your dad?"). Take the initiative. You are still early in the relationship, but unless you ask if you can meet him, you won't know. And what great practice to asking for what you want! I like abitbroken's idea of suggesting the two of you take him to dinner one night or you cook for them.

And there is no right or wrong when it comes to emotions like feeling hurt Bambii - but you have no one to blame but yourself if you don't express your desires or needs to him. So what do you have to lose? My advice is to set an intention to listen to his response openly- even if it's "no" - without defensiveness, and then see how you feel about it. My instinct tells me you see an introduction to his father as a sign of being important in his life - which is totally sweet and understandable. And you CAN tell him that too. Just be prepared to hear his answer - whatever it is - and not make him wrong about it. It's just information that you can take in that will ultimately help you determine if you want this to be long-term. Best to you - hope you will let us know what happens

Archived