Would you ask a friend to pay for this???

I gave a ride to the airport today for a friend of mines. It wasn't out of my way and he's a good guy, so when he posted about needing a ride I offered.

Ride went well,but we got so engrossed in chatting, that I ended up in the toll lane (toll lanes are auto pay from transponder, so no tollbooth to pay at). Didn't realize I was on there until it was too late to exit. My friend told me not to worry and that he would pay for the ticket if I got one.

I called the toll place and they told me that the ticket would probably be for $40. If you were me, would you ask your friend to pay it?? I feel bad that about it, but he offered.

No, because it wasn't really his fault that you went into the toll lane, it's because you were both chatting and you were driving. If it was me and he had instructed me to get into the toll lane mistakenly I might ask him for the money if going without it was going to make me hard up for necessary things for the next week, month, or whatever.

if i had to pay upfront at the time and he offered then yes i would've taken half of the cost. but since they notified you of the payment afterwards, i wouldn't ask. if he still insist, then i'll get him to treat me to food next time. it feels weird taking money from a friend but if he's my best friend then sure i'll have no shame taking it.

The point of offering him the ride was to spare him the cost of a shuttle, so asking for him to cover my own $40 mistake doesn't make much sense.

If he's a good enough friend, he'll reciprocate with lunch or drinks or a small token from where he traveled. That compensates socially, if not monetarily.

Smart for asking, and enjoy your friend.

He had mentioned about coming on another jump with me. He's a skydiver and has gone on a few jumps with me. While driving him to the airport, he had mentioned that we should to do another jump again soon.

Want to ask him to come with me on a jump the next time he is town. No, I don't have an interest in him or anything like that

Then address the jump, not the ticket. Raising that would have 'ick' written all over it, and what's the goal in making him feel lousy?

Archived