Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tinder Thread - Any Tinder Success or Horror stories?

The Tinder Thread - Any Tinder Success or Horror stories?

Hi everyone,
    So I signed up for the app mostly as a joke during my friend's party. We would all be watching and swiping and discussing why Yes or Why no, and checking out the conversations.

Long story short, I actually hit it off with one of the girls and have a date this weekend for coffee. I'm a little bit weary but for some reason it makes me feel better that she has yet to meet anyone off there too. (allegedly) She's a yoga teacher and has a lot of similar interests and sounds like we'd get along...

Anyway I've seen a few members stories but figured let's see if there are anymore. 95% of the interactions are BS and go no where, but there is obviously SOME "cool" people on there with no expectations (like myself) but also just seeing what the deal is.

I've never gone on an online date from a site or an app, so this is new territory for me. Although I have met several people from the internet through sites like couch surfing, and a few hobby forums. So I know about how sometimes people portray themselves differently and how they are in real life. I also think this is a little bit different since all of my other meetups the premise was never "we both found each other attractive, and interesting enough to meet up"

So "Tinder" is a dating app? There are too many new things out these days that I can't keep track of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by alli View Post
    So "Tinder" is a dating app? There are too many new things out these days that I can't keep track of them all.
    I found out about it last week from this forum.

It takes your facebook profile, your location, your dating age parameters, and presents a photo. If you like the person, and they like you, it opens up a conversation between the both of you.

Some say it's just a hook up app, others say it's a dating app...the verdict is still out.

Platinum Member
    Tinder is awful and such a waste of app space/screen space on my iPhone. For the most part, most convos you start end up going nowhere.

Or, if you're like me, you end up on the date from hell because there's so little info aside from pictures. Never again.

Let us know how your coffee date goes?!

I have limited knowledge of it. Have seen a few (younger than me: 18-25 ish year ranges) using this app. And when they were showing me - seemed like they were using it almost like a "hot or not" game. Seemed very detached to me...but I guess that could be said about a lot of things (including my beloved forum!).

So it would be really interesting to hear how the usage actually translates for someone. And someone a little more mature too, actually looking for a date (are you?).

What happened on your date from hell, MCJD4ever?? And why never again??
    Every moment is a choice.

Red pants make you play faster.

"if you are looking for substance, you have to be of substance yourself. " - happybear

Most are detached, I opened with an absurd joke, she responded positively and I got her phone number. Then before scheduling a date, we ended up texting a lot back and forth to see if we have anything in common.

Turns out we have a lot of interests, and it was a very light and fun back and forth. Ending with figuring out free times and setting up the date.

She moved here not too long...As for what I'm expecting, I wouldn't mind dating or even there is not enough attraction maybe a friend...who knows, I'm open.

And yeah MCJD, what constitutes a date from hell, you have me worried! Did you guys chat before or was it mostly hi, phone number, and date?

Platinum Member
    Maybe it was the way in which I used the app. It was pretty much like "Hi, here's my number, let's set up a date." So that's at least partially on me for not doing my due diligence.

The date was horrible. We had nothing in common, our personalities just did NOT mesh, and she had a laugh like "the Nanny." That could have been ascertained beforehand if I called in advance, but I was too lazy. I dunno, it was one experience, but the whole thing just turned me off to Tinder. I also didn't like how a lot of convos go nowhere, and it's based almost entirely on looks (which are important, but just a piece of the overall package).

I'm going to create a dating site and just call it 'BlueBalls.com' lol....

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JA0371 View Post
    I'm going to create a dating site and just call it 'BlueBalls.com' lol....
    Hahahaha that's funny.

I've never heard of Tinder before, not sure if I wanna try it out but I'm interested in other people's experiences with it.

i've never used tinder so don't know much about it. my advice is just to go, keep expectations low, and have a quick meet (like coffee or 1 drink). if the date is awful, you can leave after the coffee. if the date is going well, you can stretch it out and go somewhere else, like walk, or dinner.

good luck!! hope it goes well!
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...