unbearable pain during period!

Hey there,

so I know a lot of us girls have this problem. I had it for my whole life, I think I had no pain during first day of period for maybe half a year in total, in my 23 years.

my mom had it too, so she always said its OK, just stick with it, we all go through this.

but, my god, I feel like I'm going to die every first day of my period! I also know that some girls have it even harder.

I am happy that I only suffer on first day out of five, but is there any special medication for this?

I just take simple pain-killers, it takes an hour for them to kick in, so for that hour I'm in hell. I read a lot of information on psychosomatics of menstrual pain, and it says that this is often associated with a failure to take yourself as women. I am happy to be a woman, I have no problem with accepting myself, and I am healthy down there, I was checked. So every month I should just load myself with painkillers, and be a brave girl, trying not to die.

Do you have that problem, ladies? How do you help yourselves to go through that time of the month?

Heat patches.. .you can get them at the drugstore. They are like patches one uses when you pull a back muscle... they stick on and can be worn under clothing even and last 5 hours. Just slap one of those on when it starts and it really helps with cramping. Here's one kind:

link removed

If you're at home, you can just use a heating pad, but if you're out and about, you can keep some of those disposable patches handy to use...

^^

Yes, that helps too... i used to take a brisk walk as soon as it started... i know it is hard to think of that and you probably want to lie down, but as soon as you start moving around, it breaks that cycle of painful cramps. So immediately get up and walk up and down some stairs or take a walk around the block to try to ease the cramp. Once I started that and started using the heat patches, it solved the problem.

^^

Yes, that helps too... i used to take a brisk walk as soon as it started... i know it is hard to think of that and you probably want to lie down, but as soon as you start moving around, it breaks that cycle of painful cramps. So immediately get up and walk up and down some stairs or take a walk around the block to try to ease the cramp. Once I started that and started using the heat patches, it solved the problem.

yes, walking and moving helps me, but if I need to stop (I have a job in office) it comes back like 100000 times more.

Have you been to your doctor about this? This could be endrometriosis or anything else besides simple menstrual craps? Anyway, believe it or not Emodium (for diarrhea) usually helps with menstral craps... but do get it looked at.

I wrote it in my first post that I was checked, and its all fine. Never trшув Emodium, interesting tip! Thank you!

Taking ibuprofen for the day or two before my period starts also helps with my cramping! It has a blood-thinning effect, so there aren't so many clots to pass.

Also, heat patches are where awesome and bomb-diggity meet.

did that for a couple of times with a painkiller for a day before my period starts, it does help, but I was still having pain (

How much coffee do you drink? When I was in my early twenties, I used to have bad periods. I had heard that caffeine can contribute to that, so for those days, I would cut it out, only to get bad headaches. So, I decided to cut out caffeine from my diet wherever possible, and the pain diminished, no more headaches, either. I realised later that the headaches were withdrawal from the caffeine. I used to like my tea strong, but then I switched to decaf, then green decaf, now I rarely have it. Also, refined sugar can be your enemy with these things.

And I agree about the Advil. Takes a bit of time to kick in but it does make things smoother. Cutting out the caffeine, though, that's what really helped me the most.

I would get checked out by a doctor first. Have you had you been to a Gyno and had an exam? Not to scare you but I've had bad periods my whole life and only found out when I was 30 years old that I have many severe fibroids. They are the reason I was only able to have one child. Get checked out and make sure all is well.

I wrote it in my first post that I was checked, and its all fine. Never trшув Emodium, interesting tip! Thank you!

A previous first post you mean? I didn't see it in this OP. Anyway, did your doc not recommend BC pills or anything else besides pain meds? Did he/she do an ultra-sound?

I got the Emodium tip from my friend who DOES have endrometriosis and it helps her a LOT.

I like all the suggestions that were posted. I started my period (menarche) at 11 years old and I'm in my late twenties now. I've had painful periods for the first day only. I wouldn't classify them as severe based on my own pain tolerance, but they were bothersome. I found as I got older the pain wasn't as bad as your period starts to regulate itself totally. With age you should start to have less pain naturally. Also, I cut out using tampons and now I'm almost 100% cramp free (not sure if the tampons increased pain for me, but for some reason I cramp less when not using them).

sorry if this is gross, but do you pass blood clots at all? If you have a small cervical opening and you pass clots this could be a factor in the extreme pain you feel. I recommend drinking lots of water and ginger tea before the day of your expected period if you normally pass clots. Drinking enough fluids will thin out the blood and make the clots a lot smaller so the uterus doesn't have to work as hard to pass the menstrual tissues/fluids through the small cervical opening.

I also heard drinking pickle juice works...?? Never tried it myself, but it might be worth looking into, lol.

Archived