Ex randomly stops talking to me

So me and my ex have been "friends" the entire month we've been broken up and he just randomly stopped talking to me yesterday after telling me that he would "not be having this conversation again and text me later"after asking him if he really wanted to be friends.

Everyone has been telling me to move on and go NC and I haven't done so so I guess now he's forced me to do so. Has this ever happened to any of you when your ex randomly stops talking to you for no apparent reason?

It hurts really bad because things were going really well.

My ex was the same, wanted to be friends at first but didn't act in that way. I think after a break up you can't be friends immediately, it just won't work as feelings don't switch overnight. Give it a few months to heal then try. NC is honestly the best way! I tried and felt so much better. Unfortunately I broke it too soon and realised it was a mistake as he still ignored me

Happened to me. Girlfriend and I broke up. A month went by where she called me everyday, and made it seem like she wanted to get back together at some point. Last thing she said to me on the phone was "You have a busy today tomorrow sweetie, lets get some sleep". She hung up, then all of a sudden didn't call me anymore and we haven't had contact...turns out she found another guy. No contact is the best road for you. I should have done it sooner.

after telling me that he would "not be having this conversation again and text me later" after asking him if he really wanted to be friends.

This doesn't sound random to me. It sounds like he is frustrated with having the same conversation over and over so he decided that - rather than do that - he'd just stop talking for a while and see if that helps. That's one way to end a conversation.

... and it's only been a day. I don't think that qualifies as not talking to you anymore at all.

From this limited information, it sounds like your friends are right and that NC would be a good idea for you right now. It's not healty to talk to your ex every single day. That will simply lengthen the healing process.

Why don't you give yourself a time frame. Say... 3 months. Don't talk to him for 3 months and reassess. By the time 3 months pass, you may not even want to speak to him.

Did any of you got involved in new relationship? Well... apparently I got deeply friendzoned by my crush and when I realised that things are not going the way I'd like them to go, I said that we cannot see each other any longer. As long as I'll be sure that I managed to overcome my affection. I told her I appreciate her friendship and one day when I'll manage to start my life with someone else I'll be happy to find her again.

But honestly... I don't think it gonna ever happen. I'm to deep in love to lose my affection. I don't want to see her again becouse it's too painful. It hurts really bad when I realise that intentionally I resigned from someone who was an integral (and most important) part of my life for over half of year (actually it feels, like I knew her ever since) it makes me cry.

To be honest, fire, I can see how that question feels like insecurity to the dumper. Why ask? You are asking for reassurance from a guy who just told you he doesn't love you or want to be with you. He is not in a place to reassure.

I think you need a little space before you can be ready for just a friendship.

Fire-nothing random here at all. You have been acting as though you haven't been broken up for a month now. You hang out with him, try and hook up and generally ignore that your relationship has ended.

I agree with mhowe. This isn't random at all. He's trying to be clear that, while he's fine talking to you, he doesn't want to talk about your relationship anymore. For him, that's over, and if you're going to keep talking about it, he doesn't want to talk. It seems that he would be fine talking to you about other things, though, just not the relationship.

It's clear from your posts that you don't just want to be friends with him, and I think you need to acknowledge that to yourself -- that you have expectations and hopes that if you hang around, being a "friend," he'll see what he's missing out on and change his mind. Something to ask yourself and answer, honestly: What are you afraid will happen if you stop talking to him for awhile? Are you afraid you'll "lose" him? if so, you have to remind yourself that as it stands now, your relationship is over -- you can't lose something you don't have. If he really cares about you -- as a friend or otherwise -- not talking for a few months while the emotions settle down for you won't change that.

I remember that panicky feeling when I thought of letting go -- when I thought "What if he never calls me again? What if he never texts me again?" It will pass. It took me awhile; I was SO resistant to letting go. I made every excuse in the book for hanging on, justified it at every turn. The thing is, I was the only one hanging on -- he wasn't. So, in essence, I was holding on to nothing. Recognizing that was extremely painful, but...liberating at the same time. Looking back now, I can't imagine still being in that place -- still being in regular contact with him, still hoping, feeling sad and anxious and over-analyzing everything. Life is a lot more peaceful now that I've stopped doing that. He still claims he wants to be "friends," but...it wouldn't be a real friendship. I have a lot of real friends, and I know what that looks/feels like -- he's not capable of being a true friend to me.

You really need to cut him off -- at least for awhile. But, all of this advice is useless if you're not willing and ready to let go yet. If you're not, though, just know that these feelings of disappointment, anxiety at not hearing from him for a day, etc. -- will continue, and possibly worsen.

Cut him off, everyone is right. I learned that lesson the hard way. The last time I saw my ex-girlfriend in person we were sexually intimate and the last time we talked on the phone she was calling me sweetie and everything seemed fine. It was much harder to move on given those circumstances than if I had just moved on and stopped contact with her when we broke up.

You guys seem to have more of a reason for no contact when I did. It is tough, but you gotta move on. It is going to be tough no matter when you do it, you might as well do it now and get it over with and know it will just be harder if you wait longer.

Happened to me, she wanted to be friends and I tried but it hurt too much. She changed her number and cut me out of her life, it's nearly four months since we last spoke.

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

It is quite usual for ex's to randomly stop communicating when they are done being friends. Staying "friends" usually means something different to a dumper than a dumpee which many people fail to realise. For the dumper it provides them with the comfort of knowing they have you to fall back on. It generally doesn't mean much because as they start moving on with their lives, which is ultimately what they want to do, they will need less and less contact. For the dumpee it means they get the chance to hang onto their ex for a bit longer providing them with a chance to put things right.

For the dumper who is a bit anxious about going it alone asking to be friends is pretty standard procedure, for the dumpee, however, it is a ray of hope.

Dumpees who are still emotionally attached to their ex rarely benefit from being friends and are usually left feeling dumped all over again when communication suddenly stops, which it inevitably will. This is why staying in touch as friends with an ex isn't recommended.

The bottom line is you aren't together anymore and the fact that you had to ask whether you really were friends probably made your ex feel a certain pressure that he probably wasn't expecting, or wanting, to feel having ended the relationship already with you.

After a couple of days of thinking (and not contacting him and haven't heard from him) I am going 100% NC. It is the only thing that is right at this point and if he doesn't want to be in my life then that's his choice and I don't need him in mine. I know it'll get easier.

Archived