What does "don't take yourself too seriously" mean?

mfan

I often read this in dating profiles ("I'm looking for a man who's ________, _______, and doesn't take himself too seriously")

What does this phrase mean exactly? It seems strange - why wouldn't one want to take oneself seriously? If you don't then doesn't it mean you're a lazy slacker? Thanks.

When I read that, I take it to mean someone who has the ability to laugh at themself. I know people who, when they make a mistake, do something inapporpriate, or say the wrong thing at the wrong time, they overreact as though the world is coming to an end. This sounds to me like the person is hoping to find someone who has a sense of humor and can laugh or make light of a situation.....

To me, that phrase is (probably) shorthand for "I'm looking for someone who doesn't have a huge ego, walks around thinking he's more important than/better than everyone else" with a dash of "I don't want someone who is quick to laugh at/point out other people's shortcomings, but doesn't deal well with it when the joke is on him."

It takes less time to type "doesn't take himself too seriously."

Some people are super smart and engaging on an intellectual level which is very attractive to a lot of women. At the same time men and women alike are looking for someone to be silly with and laugh with. Some people are serious and intellectual the majority of the time and that can be "taking yourself too seriously". There's a time for work and a time for play...the balance is important to a lot of people- both men and women.

why wouldn't one want to take oneself seriously? If you don't then doesn't it mean you're a lazy slacker? Thanks.

A person can take what they DO seriously (and thus not a "lazy slacker") but at the same time not take themselves too seriously, are able to laugh at themselves, have a sense of humor, be flexible about situations.

Archived