Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What does "don't take yourself too seriously" mean?

I often read this in dating profiles ("I'm looking for a man who's ________, _______, and doesn't take himself too seriously")

What does this phrase mean exactly? It seems strange - why wouldn't one want to take oneself seriously? If you don't then doesn't it mean you're a lazy slacker? Thanks.
    Long sweet live, a-chewin' me baby,
    Ain't nothin' wrong with that :)

Silver Member
    I think the expression is used to say he's a fun and out going person, that he has a "childish" or "entertaining" side to him. Atleast that's how I use this phrase (not that I have an online dating profile)

When I read that, I take it to mean someone who has the ability to laugh at themself. I know people who, when they make a mistake, do something inapporpriate, or say the wrong thing at the wrong time, they overreact as though the world is coming to an end. This sounds to me like the person is hoping to find someone who has a sense of humor and can laugh or make light of a situation.....

Platinum Member
    Beware of anyone who uses cliches in a dating profile - it means they can't think for themselves.

The same way you shouldn't take sport too seriously. It's not the end of the world if your team loses as long as you played a good game and you can be proud that you did your best.

To me, that phrase is (probably) shorthand for "I'm looking for someone who doesn't have a huge ego, walks around thinking he's more important than/better than everyone else" with a dash of "I don't want someone who is quick to laugh at/point out other people's shortcomings, but doesn't deal well with it when the joke is on him."

It takes less time to type "doesn't take himself too seriously."
    "And all I can think is that it must be a kind of rebellion
    to arm your fears like soldiers and to slay them...." -The Airborne Toxic Event

"All you need to understand is everything you know is wrong." - Weird Al Yankovic

Thanks! I don't view this phrase as a cliche; I just wasn't clear what personality trait it referred to. makes sense now.

Platinum Member
    I think it means: "i'm looking for someone who doesn't have a stick up his a**"

Some people are super smart and engaging on an intellectual level which is very attractive to a lot of women. At the same time men and women alike are looking for someone to be silly with and laugh with. Some people are serious and intellectual the majority of the time and that can be "taking yourself too seriously". There's a time for work and a time for play...the balance is important to a lot of people- both men and women.

Awesome! So all this time, I've been "not taking myself too seriously" and never knew it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Married people are more likely to be happier in the long run when compared to their single counterparts, according to U.S. scientists from Michigan ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
People who have children experience greater happiness and feel they derive more meaning from life than those without kids, claim psychologists from ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Norwegian psychologists have created a Facebook Addiction Scale test, according to which women are at higher risk of developing unhealthy dependence ...