Wisdom teeth :(

I'm getting my wisdom teeth out in a few weeks and wanted to see what kind of experiences you ENAers have had.

I'm SCARED TO DEATH of needles. It is not so much the pain, but the anticipation of the pain and the fact that I'm a control freak.

My doctor prescribed me a couple valium to take before the surgery. But I have found myself lately having panic attacks. I've never been "put under" and it just scares me to death. I've also heard that IV needles hurt pretty bad, so I've also requested that I am gassed a bit and hopefully completely out of it before they stab me. I also have this weird fear that when they put the IV in, I'm going to wake up from the ***** and the needle may jab through my arm.

I'm really not afraid of the pain afterwards. Of course I'll whine and complain (LOL) but I really do not know what to expect with the whole procedure and I'm SUPER scared!!

You will be ok. I have the same panic syndrome with regard to medical procedures. Not needles. Those do not bother me in the slightest. I do HATE to be put out though. Really the whole thing is over in about 20 mins or so. My husband had his taken out 2 years ago. He was out and in the little recovery bed in about 20 mins. I saw one girl go in and she was out in 15 mins. The procedure is not very long if there are no complications.

Just take the valium they gave you before and you won't care about too much.

If you take a couple valium and get gas, you won't care! I remember the first time i got gas, the doctor was drilling away and i couldn't have cared less... i was just happy, happy, happy and didn't care what he did... that is why they call it laughing gas!

The fear is much worse than the reality when it comes to needles... stubbing your toe or plucking eyebrows or waxing hurts worse than a needle does. And if you're on gas when they do it, you'll hardly even notice and not care.

I would be prepared though to when you go home and all the novocaine etc. wears off... that can be painful. Make sure they give you some strong pain killers that you can get at the drugstore before the novocaine wears off so they're handy and ready to go when you're at home afterwards. Some people have a lot of pain afterwards, and some not too bad, but it helps if you know you have strong pain killers to use should you need them.

Yup. If you have never had a benzo before you will be so out of it you probably won't care about squat. And the gas on top by the time they put you out or get the needle in you will be barely conscious.

When they did my oral surgery and I had gas I could barely tell what they were doing.

I am one of the very lucky ones to have a very uncomplicated and pain free recovery from my extraction.

I remember saying afterwards "I'd do that all over again just for the drugs."

Seriously, whatever fears and anxieties you have now will fade away with those 2 valiums. It's great stuff!

You'll be fine. I was a little worried, too -- it was the first time I was ever put under, and I was 20 or 21 at the time. In fact, it's been the ONLY time I've ever been put under, and it was fine.

I was really nervous, but honestly, I remember there was a TV on in the room, and the assistant was talking to me about what was playing on the TV one minute, and the next minute she was talking to me again, and I thought I hadn't had the surgery yet, but I had! I didn't even realize I'd been under for over an hour! When I woke up, I was fine, except my face was numb, especially my lips, and it felt weird. The only thing that bothered me was the cotton gauze they stuffed in the back of my mouth -- I kept wanting to remove it, and they kept telling me I couldn't. My mom bought some more, though, and we changed it every day.

I had almost no pain. I was prescribed Vicodin and took only one -- I had a strange, very scary dream after I took it, and I decided I didn't want anymore Vicodin. Instead, my mom gave me Tylenol, and I was fine. I remember my jaw was sore, as if it had been bruised, and my head hurt a little, but otherwise, it was fine -- the pain was not unbearable at all. I had a little puffiness in my cheeks for a few days, and I only ate soup, pudding, and baby food (yep!) for a few days, but after thre or four days, I was fine.

Nothing scary about it for me, and it wasn't painful at all, and I'm one who gets VERY nervous going to the doctor, dentist, etc. and someone who hates pain. I don't make a great patient!

You'll be fine. It's actually a very routine procedure, and with some Valium, you probably won't even feel nervous at all.

Most people have minimal issues having wisdom teeth out....

I unfortunately had HORRIBLE experiences...and have been scared of the dentist since.

Laughing gas doesnt make me laugh but makes me scream and freak out----doesnt work for me.

Im allergic to pain meds....so afterwards I just have to deal with what comes.

Novicaine also doesnt work on me (just had a filling last week and felt ALL of it after a MAJOR dose, 6 shots)

Add to that my teeth were impacted and jaw bone had to be filed away to get at the teeth to remove---and they had to be quartered for extraction.....and you have a not fun experience.

That being said....everyone I know has had an easy time with theirs.

Just dont drink through a straw-----you'll get dry sockets and those are VERY VERY painful.

You'll be fine.

OK-

So Ive had two procedures for Wisdom Teeth. One where I was put to sleep, and one where i received local antiseptic/NO2 and was fully aware.

Honestly, I preferred the later. The idea of someone putting me to sleep, messing around in my mouth, and then waking up with gauze in my mouth was far more traumatic. Then tug tug pull pull..done.

Either way you will totally be fine.

Most people have minimal issues having wisdom teeth out....

I unfortunately had HORRIBLE experiences...and have been scared of the dentist since.

Laughing gas doesnt make me laugh but makes me scream and freak out----doesnt work for me.

Im allergic to pain meds....so afterwards I just have to deal with what comes.

Novicaine also doesnt work on me (just had a filling last week and felt ALL of it after a MAJOR dose, 6 shots)

Add to that my teeth were impacted and jaw bone had to be filed away to get at the teeth to remove---and they had to be quartered for extraction.....and you have a not fun experience.

That being said....everyone I know has had an easy time with theirs.

Just dont drink through a straw-----you'll get dry sockets and those are VERY VERY painful.

You'll be fine.

Yeah I personally didn't react well to gas. Most people are fine with it. For me it gave me a severe panic attack. I started smacking the dental assistant.( Mind you this was not for wisdom teeth but a longer dental surgery)

Personally ,I would much rather have local and just be awake for the whole thing.

The dental surgeon my husband went to just puts people out. My husband's wisdom teeth were under the gum and sideways against the other teeth but they still came out in 20 minutes. My husband was also 41 years old when he had them out. The dental surgeon was pretty irritated. He said he didn't like to work on older people because it's harder to get the teeth out because the jaw is so hard.

My husband got one infected and dry socket but it healed up pretty quickly with antibiotics and this special gummy solution they packed the hole with . His face also did not swell at all. Mind you my husband's a moose. He also heals dramatically quickly.

I had local only for wisdom teeth but IV sedation -twilight sleep -for oral surgery (dental implant) - I did fine with local for wisdom teeth and the twilight sleep (was prob. valium) was awesome! Good luck and I can relate to phobias (mine are not from needles) but I think the meds will help a lot.

I had all four of mine taken out at once when I was in high school. They put a IV in antecubical area of the arm if they can get to that vein with no problem. Wasnt painful, just a pinch. Once it was in I was told to count backwards from 100, i remember getting to 97 or 96 and I was out. I don't remember a thing. I woke up with my mouth numb. The healing part was painful and my face looked like a squirrel for a few days. I was prescribed antibiotics and codeine for pain. Took two weeks to heal. Getting those teeth out saved me so many possible future dentist appointments. It's worth it. You'll be fine

Ugh, I keep getting closer and closer to having to get it done and I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack.

You're making the lead up to the procedure much worse than the procedure itself.

Believe me, once you get those Valium into your system, you aren't going to care about anything!

You're making the lead up to the procedure much worse than the procedure itself.

Believe me, once you get those Valium into your system, you aren't going to care about anything!

Lol, I ALWAYS do this! I try so hard to not think about it. I've only taken Valium once (when I got an MRI). I'm not sure how much the dosage was but I think it concerns me that the last time I took it, I didn't feel really out of it and then it was almost like it wore off the second I got on the table.

Archived