Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I move to North Carolina (Greensboro)?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about moving to North Carolina. Now, I don't want to just get up and move with no plan. There is a grad program there I am interested in and I'm hoping to apply to in the next year or two.

I'm more concerned if I will fit in with the people there. I lived in New England for years and never fit in with the culture there, it was horrible. Here are somethings I am worried about:

1) How will I be treated as an "outsider"? Will I be shunned for being a "yankee" or will I be given a chance with people? I know that over all that will be a person by person thing but in New England I swear most people did not want anything to do with you unless you had known their family for 3 generations. I don't want to go through that again.

2) Things to do/places to eat. I like Chicago because there are a lot of thing to do and places to eat: Indian, Chinese, Thai, Italian, American, etc you can find it all. Will I be able to find that in NC? I know it will be no Chicago, I'm not looking for it to be exactly the same, but how diverse is it?

3) (I really hope this simple question doesn't get my thread closed) Politically, will I fit in? I consider myself a moderate. But there are a few issues that I feel very strongly about. In particular Equal Marriage. I know it got voted down in NC but not without significant protests.

So, I guess, my overall question is what people's experience have been with NC/Greensboro. What is the culture like? What are the people like? Will I be shunned or welcomed? Are different points of view respected?

Thanks,

MT
    "Recognizing somebody else's power does not diminish your own." -Joss Whedon
    "Saying that you're a nice guy is like a restaurant whose only selling point is that the food doesn't make you sick [...]"- http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/#ixzz2mOdY2dPO

Silver Member
    OMG this is so relevant to me! I lived in new england from 1-21 and moved to charlotte, NC about 9 months ago.

1. greensboro may be different from charlotte, but here everyone is from somewhere else. The south in general is extremely welcoming and I must say,i LOVE LOVE LOVE it here. North carolina is SUCH a beautiful state and theres just a MUCH BETTER more chilled out vibe to the south.

2. I've found the food to be wonderful down south

3. politically i'd say it's much more varied then you'd think,atleast here in charlotte. I live in the one of two counties actually that voted against that marriage bill.

PM me for anything else you'd like to know!

I never felt like I "fit in" in the north either. I definetly feel so much more at home with more kind hearted people surrounding me.

OMG, Thank you so much!
    "Saying that you're a nice guy is like a restaurant whose only selling point is that the food doesn't make you sick [...]"- http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/#ixzz2mOdY2dPO

Gold Member
    I live in the south. People (strangers) are just friendlier up here than they are up north as a whole. Even if it's just a front. Most of my family lives up north in New Jersey/New York. Whenever they come to visit they're always surprised to see everyone waving at each other when we're driving. They'll go "who was that" and I say, "I dunno, I just waived." And they're usually shocked with an answer like "OMG, you guys just waive and talk to everyone you don't know??"

My point is, nobody is going to care that you're an 'outsider'. If anything they'll ask you tons of questions as to why you don't sound like a redneck and be intrigued by you.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I was treated GREAT in the South, but I am not an American "Northerner" so I would not know how you would be seen. I think they would be friendly though. I don't think the Southern accent sounds "red neck". I absolutely ADORE it.
    ADHD= Attention Dialed into a Higher Dimension. For my son .

If you judge people you have no time to love them. Mother Teresa

Be not afraid. I go before you always. Come follow me and I will give you rest

As for Me and My House We Will Serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Life only goes around once but never again~~Fred Stobaugh

Thanks guys! I have a really good gut feeling about it. My BF and I are planning a trip down to G'boro for a few days to get a feel for it.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria66 View Post
    I was treated GREAT in the South, but I am not an American "Northerner" so I would not know how you would be seen. I think they would be friendly though. I don't think the Southern accent sounds "red neck". I absolutely ADORE it.
    Go about 25 minutes outside of any major city in the south and you'll hear plenty of "red neck" and you won't like it. If you're white they'll assume you hate blacks and drop the N-bomb like they're saying "good morning".

Source: I live there.

I have lived all over - PA, CA, LA, TX, FL - I was from the south but grew up on the west coast and later lived on the east coast. I can tell you from experience the biggest things that seem to separate the north from the south are;
    1. Southerns are fanatical about church - Northerners are fanatical about baseball games
    2. Southerns love college football - Northerners love the NFL
    3. People marry young in the south and it's ok - People from the north can date for like 8 years without getting engaged
    4. Southerners do not cuss as nearly as much as Northerners do
    5. The south is full of Wall Marts and large vehicles - the North is about deli's and trains
    6. People are way friendly in the south - either fake or genuine - it can be obnoxious how nice and sweet people are - people in the north can be super aggressive

You will be thought of as "outsider" but they will think your cool cause you choose to live where they live.
    A few pointer for living in the south - Whenever someone says "bless their heart" it means an insult is coming - don't bring beer to a bbq unless you are sure they are drinkers,
    don't order anything with the words "pig" or "feet" in the description. A "cold drink" means soda. If you get invited to someones house always make something - don't do store bought. Don't complain about why you hate the south - that gets annoying. Do have some wine and go to Wall Mart at 3 am - lots of fun to be had there.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Quote Originally Posted by epsilon2x View Post
    Go about 25 minutes outside of any major city in the south and you'll hear plenty of "red neck" and you won't like it. If you're white they'll assume you hate blacks and drop the N-bomb like they're saying "good morning".

Source: I live there.
    I never really heard any of that. They were too busy trying to figure out where I was from...........lol

My husband was in the South for 4 months and never saw any of that either.
    ADHD= Attention Dialed into a Higher Dimension. For my son .

If you judge people you have no time to love them. Mother Teresa

Be not afraid. I go before you always. Come follow me and I will give you rest

As for Me and My House We Will Serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Life only goes around once but never again~~Fred Stobaugh

It's hard to beat Chicago, but North Carolina is the gem of the South IMO. It's one of the few Southern states I would consider living in. You'll be close to mountains and the ocean and the people are very friendly there. NC has it's fair share of transplants so I wouldn't worry about being treated as an outsider there. I haven't been to Greensboro specifically but any reasonably large city in NC should have plenty of options. Great beer scene there too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
One of the biggest causes of stress and unhappiness in life are failed relationships. Making a relationship work is one of the most important life ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It has been universally acknowledged that having a long distance relationship is not such a good idea, especially if there is no known end-date to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Some people say that when we deeply love or care about someone we automatically open the door to betrayal. I am not sure whether such statement holds ...