Putting other people's needs ahead of yours

Celadon

I kinda can't believe I'm writing this, but we all change over time, so maybe it was inevitable. So I used to be very concerned about others -- putting everyone's needs before mine, that type of thing. Dutiful and "responsible," I guess you could say. There were pluses and minuses to that, but over time, the minuses started outweighing the pluses. Mostly, I felt stressed and tapped out and like I basically needed to start taking care of myself.

I remember in high school how a teacher once suggested to us that doing nice things for other people, like going to visit your grandmother, would make you feel good. Although I was the "good girl" and completely agreed with this, one guy in my class rejected that idea, saying the last thing he would enjoy would be giving up his time to visit his grandmother.

Well, now I feel like I've swung in his direction, and it kinda concerns me. Now, it's the people who used to be "selfish" who are doing things for others, but I - who used to be not so concerned with myself - find I'm wanting more and more time for myself. The idea of reaching out to people drains me. I don't necessarily want to hang out with anyone I don't like (in a group). At work, if I come accross some information (an article or some outside training materials) that would be helpful to me, I choose not to copy it for anyone else, not because I want to withhold but because I feel lazy.

Does it sound to you like I'm burned out? I'm worried that as I've started to take more care of myself, I'm getting too selfish.

There is nothing wrong with taking care of yourself. You shouldn't be giving more to others than you do yourself. When I used to see my therapist he actually said to me 'petite, you give way too much time, effort and energy to other people and in the end you're left with nothing". I see how true that is because I was always running o low when it came to myself. If you don't take care of you, then you can't help others.

I am not saying to be selfish and not give a darn about other people and some times you've got to put others ahead of yourself, but don't get lost in the process.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to take care of yourself. You don't need to constantly cater to everyone else's needs to be a good person. It's not your responsibility to make copies for coworkers or hang out with people you don't even like. You're right. You're feeling burned out because you've been spreading yourself too thin. I'm kind of feeling drained myself because I just feel like I've "cared myself out." I think you need to spend some time with yourself and taking care of your needs for once. That doesn't translate into being an a-hole, but it means not putting everyone before yourself every single time. Like everything else in life, you need a balance. Too much of any one thing can be bad. Take a break from doing what you've been doing and treat yourself to "me" time. Get to know yourself better and do nice things for yourself, because at the end of the day what good will you be to anyone or yourself if you're drained and unhappy?

You're jaded. Things needs to be done in the correct moderation; there's a balance to it. It sounds like in the past you were too extreme on the helpful side, giving up yourself for others and such. Unfortunately, this may have caused others to take it for granted, as it so commonly happens. And over time this built up in you until now it's just too much and you don't want to deal with it anymore.

Go ahead and give yourself a well-deserved break. You'll bounce back I'm sure, just remember to not overdo it. People don't always need help, even some that say they do. Have your own standard of what qualifies as needing your help.

I almost give exclusively to others. Could be why I am exhausted. I almost never learned to give back to myself. I was not raised to do that. I was only raised to give and give till you have nothing left.

That's extremely unhealthy, and by 50 you will feel like the world is on your shoulders alone. People let things build and build and build up and then one day they explode. People need to learn to rely on themselves too, can't always baby everyone and spoon feed them, that doesn't help anyone.

I think as we get older we all reach 'the middle ground'. People that were more selfish realise there's more to life than their own needs and people that were too giving realise that their needs are as important as the rest.

What you describe sounds balanced to me. Maybe there's other reasons for feeling more drained or not as enthusiastic, do you still like your job?

Hey all, I really needed to hear what you've had to say. It's helpful, and comforting, to get your feedback. I agree I'm in this sort of middle zone where I'm trying to figure out what "balance" means to me. As some of you said, not everyone needs help, so I don't need to feel like it's up to ME to make sure everyone's taken care of. And not everyone's going to be grateful for help, either, which does lead me to wondering why I'm putting out the effort.

quirky, yes, I am stressed about a few others things, work among them. That's a good point -- there's added reasons for feeling burnt out, although my reflex to put others' needs first is part of it. I'm trying to learn to be balanced overall, and it feels a bit odd to try to do things differently.

Tonight, I'm planning on "me" time after work. Usually I do laundry mid-week, but maybe I'll postpone that so I can do whatever I feel like...

I don't need to feel like it's up to ME to make sure everyone's taken care of. And not everyone's going to be grateful for help, either, which does lead me to wondering why I'm putting out the effort.

sigh..I feel that too and it is a hindrance, at least it feels like one lately. I do my stuff, I'm not a doormat by far and I need LOTS of time to myself .. but I do feel a bizarre calling to help even when I'm not asked to. I am very used to it because of my job, I work with the public and I 'solve' things for them daily. I pick up quickly on who needs help and sometimes I wish I didn't. I also have this compassion for the 'wounded' and feel that I want to help them. Why do you think you're putting the effort? I'm curious..

Also I wanted to tell you how much I love all these threads you start on Personal Growth, I always anticipate them !

quirky, you are too too kind, but thank you for telling me. I always appreciate your thoughts, and I've gotten the feeling we are similar in many ways!

Now, to be sure, I admire people who are concerned for others and who instinctively are drawn to the wounded. It takes a certain sensitivity to recognize those who are hurting; it rests in an outward focus, which can be a real gift to others. But it can come at a cost for some, if we don't know how to withdraw when we need to.

Why am I putting in the effort? I think it's a bit complicated. Partly, I have this idealistic vision of everyone being happy and getting along with each other and with me -- one big happy family. With that vision in my head, it's hard not to step forward to try to make it a reality. Sometimes, it's really satisfying to see someone else happy. Partly, though, it's my upbringing. I was taught to be responsible, probably too responsible. I was taught that kind, generous people pick up the slack of others and meet others' needs even before the needs are spoken.

The third part is unfortunately co-dependence, which is a form of taking responsibility for others but not because I care so much but because I need to make up for the lack in someone else, if that makes any sense. If I could get rid of the co-dependence part and keep the first two motivations, I'd probably be doing OK. lol.

Archived