Dr ordered an ultrasound for lump in breast?

I have a lump in my left breast. I went to the doctor today and told him about it. He felt it but was unconcerned and said it could be just a cyst but wanted to get it checked out further anyway. He ordered an ultrasound on it and my appointment is next Friday. My question is why wouldn't he order a mammogram? What's the difference between a mammogram and an ultrasound for something like this? It could be b/c of my age (29) or b/c it's a newly found lump (paperwork that I read in the doctor's office said you're not permitted to do a mammogram if you're under 35 or the lump is new, so that's why I guess that). I do have breast cancer genes in my family (maternal aunt and her daughter, who is my age) though.

Does anyone have experience with this? What is the difference between the ultrasound and the mammogram?

If it matters, they also did bloodwork on me today, but I'm not sure for what purpose. I went to the doctor today in order to establish a primary care doctor so he got my full medical history and such so maybe that's what the blood work was for? Just to get everything checked out? Who knows.

Hi hers, yes, I have experienced this and I was your age as well. You are right, they do not like to do mammograms on young women because our breast tissue is so dense. The breast gets somewhat flattened in a mammogram so not only is it very painful, it won't give good results because of the denseness of the breast. An ultrasound is perfect. I had an ultrasound and the "lump" was just hormonal swelling, nothing at all to worry about, not even a cyst. It was just normal breast tissue. So try not to worry, the ultrasound is very comprehensive, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hers, when you choose an new GP, they will do an entire blood panel on you, just to get a baseline to work with (concerning stuff like BP, cholesterol, etc). It's also part of a yearly physical.

I recently changed to a PPO insurance (when I started my new job), so I chose a new GP and when I went for the first appt, he had me get an entire blood panel done.

I'm not sure about mammograms though. I'm 39 and when I got my physical, the doc did a breast exam and said I didn't need a mammogram until next year (when I turn 40).

I had my first mammogram at right after I turned 41 and just a few months later found a lump in my breast. The doctor didn't order an ultrasound for me, just sent me to the surgeon. He felt around, found the lump I knew about and a second lump. He stuck a needle in and determined it they were both cysts.

Insurance companies are trying to change the age of your first mamogram to 50. Thankfully I was able to get mine before they changed anything.

When you're younger, they do ultrasounds instead of mammograms. As for your sister, since you two are at an age where either one would work, it's probably just the doctor's preference. Also, since you already know there's a lump, ultrasounds can actually detect what is inside the lump. Mammograms don't really do that. Usually when they find a lump on a mammogram, they follow up with an ultrasound to determine what kind of lump it is.

An ultrasound is a sonogram. It uses sound waves. A mammogram uses radiation.

Archived