Turtles As Pets!

RelaxByWater84

I'm thinking of getting a pet turtle. I was wondering if it would be a clean, low maintence pets. I at this time cannot get a dog. I am not a cat person. I would like a pet that is not a fish. I was also wondering about the cost and if it would conceivable for me to have one. I don't want to get a pet and then have to give it away. Also do turtles need other turtles around them for companionship?? Thanks in advance for the replies!

My college roommate had a turtle and I have to say that if she slacked on cleaning his aquarium, it smelled so bad! I think she had to clean it weekly to keep it from getting smelly. So while the turtle itself might be low maintenance, its habitat is not.

What about a bunny or sugar glider or something like that?

My friend's had rabbits and they(the rabbits) have toxic smelling poop. My roommate got new furniture so nothing with claws is a must. I'm just really wanting a pet right now and I thought turtles would be a nice pet to have.

As long as you're willing to keep the turtle tank clean then it sounds like it might be a good pet for you. If you're sensitive to smells then get yourself on a tank cleaning schedule and you'll be fine.

My bunny was not too smelly. Before getting any pet though I would check online about the care and habitats and type of diet etc. The most common ailments. I have not had turtles but I have had fish and rabbits and guinea pigs and cats and dogs.

I'm checking online, however, I would like to get people's experiences on having them as pets. I'm also considering the actual costs of owning a turtle. I am also checking out how much vets would cost since turtles are considered exotic pets rather than domestics.

If you want to look after a rabbit properly they are not low maintenance, as there is a lot of wrong info out there. They need adequate space, not just a tiny hutch, companionship, vaccinations, a proper diet of hay and veggies and their litter tray needs to be cleaned regularly.

Never had a turtle though.

Do you want a water type of turtle(ex: red-eared slider) or the opposite(ex: box turtle)?

I've had both types. I had a turtle(red-eared slider) that they usually have at pet stores and are the size of a quarter basically. It grew to be about as big as a dinner plate. They are docile as babies but can become aggresive when they get older...I got bit a couple of times. Not to mention, they can cost quite a bit in terms of maintenance(filters,etc.) and having to change the water frequently and that can be a real hassle.

I have the other turtle outside and keep it in a pen. Its way more easier to take care of as opposed to the red eared slider and way less of a hassle.

I adopted 2 baby red-eared sliders for about 1 1/2 years. I was working at the airport at the time and a passenger couldn't travel with them so he gave them to one of our staff members. No one wanted to care for the turtles, so I took them in to nurse them back to health(they both had shell rot damage) and then eventually give away.

The initial supplies I bought for the two turtles ran me over $100, but as time went on I made several adjustments to their habitat. For red-eared slides you need a tank, docking station for basking, lighting (one is a heat lamp used for basking and a UVB light), turtle food, and a darn good filter. You may also need to buy things such as shell lotion, calcium supplements, etc...

Once you have your habitat built and organized, things are a bit easier. The most annoying thing about turtles is cleaning the tank which you will have to do on a consistent basis because the tank will get dirty due to the food pieces and the turtle's bathroom habits. I was lucky as my 2 turtles did not smell ever even when the tank was less than clean. But it was a huge pain in the neck to unload the tank of everything, clean it out/scrub it down thoroughly, and then refill by the container loads. It gets old real quick....

Turtles are independent creatures and you do not need two, but if you have two and they get along then it's not an issue. Some turtles are more aggressive than others.

Unfortunately for me, the smaller of my two baby turtles never fully recovered from his shell rot damaged and eventually passed away. I was deeply saddened as I had grown very attached to my little guy. He had such a pleasant and loving personality. I didn't have as much of a connection with the bigger one and seeing him made me miss the little guy even more, so I decided it was finally time to find him a forever home. I had them way longer than I originally intended to...

Overall, they can make great pets but I wouldn't necessarily consider them to be low maintenance. I find my cat to be more low maintenance than the turtles...

Good luck in whatever you choose!

I've never had to take a pet turtle to the vet before, so I have no idea about that. I've had several and they all stayed healthy except for one which had worms when I got him, and they rinsed off with a little work. They can have eye problems but the medicine is available at pet stores. Good food will cost you more, as turtles should eat fresh veggies and things like meal worms.

I would suggest a large tank with a filtration system for an aquatic turtle. That way you don't have to clean it as often and the turtle won't be bored as it would in something tiny. If you want something easier to maintain, maybe a ground turtle would be best for you. Specialty pet stores have a few different kinds, and they are usually cheaper there than somewhere like Petland. Try local hobbyists too. Never keep them outside though, they will dig right out!

• 4 weeks later...

My roommate has a red eared slider. They are a lot of maintence, and the tank get dirty fast no matter how often it's cleaned.

However, I was surprised that turtles have personalities... He will follow me around the room from the tank, when he hears my voice he pops up, he will peak one eye open when he wants to see what's going on but wants to ignore you, when he is hungry and wants food now, he will swim with his mouth open and closing. It's sounds so silly but I am totally attached to that little turtle. Sometimes he sleeps with all limbs straight out and bobs up and down. I have many phone pics of this animals estranged sleeping positions!

So no, you cant cuddle and walk it, but its still a rewarding animal! And its opened me up to the idea of owning one on my own.

Archived