Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Turtles As Pets!

I'm thinking of getting a pet turtle. I was wondering if it would be a clean, low maintence pets. I at this time cannot get a dog. I am not a cat person. I would like a pet that is not a fish. I was also wondering about the cost and if it would conceivable for me to have one. I don't want to get a pet and then have to give it away. Also do turtles need other turtles around them for companionship?? Thanks in advance for the replies!
    "Learn the rules completely so you can break them correctly"
    ---Dalai Lama

"Whether we're a preschooler or a young teen, a graduating college senior or a retired person, we human beings all want to know that we're acceptable, that our being alive somehow makes a difference in the lives of others."
    Fred Rogers (The World According to Mister Rogers)

My college roommate had a turtle and I have to say that if she slacked on cleaning his aquarium, it smelled so bad! I think she had to clean it weekly to keep it from getting smelly. So while the turtle itself might be low maintenance, its habitat is not.

What about a bunny or sugar glider or something like that?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    http://www.goodpetturtlecare.com/

No pet is really low maintenance because you really have to look after the habitat as well as the pet.

Turtles can carry salmonella so wash your hands well after handling.
    ADHD= Attention Dialed into a Higher Dimension. For my son .

If you judge people you have no time to love them. Mother Teresa

Be not afraid. I go before you always. Come follow me and I will give you rest

As for Me and My House We Will Serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Life only goes around once but never again~~Fred Stobaugh

My friend's had rabbits and they(the rabbits) have toxic smelling poop. My roommate got new furniture so nothing with claws is a must. I'm just really wanting a pet right now and I thought turtles would be a nice pet to have.
    ---Dalai Lama

"Whether we're a preschooler or a young teen, a graduating college senior or a retired person, we human beings all want to know that we're acceptable, that our being alive somehow makes a difference in the lives of others."

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    My bunny was not too smelly. Before getting any pet though I would check online about the care and habitats and type of diet etc. The most common ailments. I have not had turtles but I have had fish and rabbits and guinea pigs and cats and dogs.
    ADHD= Attention Dialed into a Higher Dimension. For my son .

If you judge people you have no time to love them. Mother Teresa

Be not afraid. I go before you always. Come follow me and I will give you rest

As for Me and My House We Will Serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Life only goes around once but never again~~Fred Stobaugh

Quote Originally Posted by RelaxByWater84 View Post
    My friend's had rabbits and they(the rabbits) have toxic smelling poop. My roommate got new furniture so nothing with claws is a must. I'm just really wanting a pet right now and I thought turtles would be a nice pet to have.
    As long as you're willing to keep the turtle tank clean then it sounds like it might be a good pet for you. If you're sensitive to smells then get yourself on a tank cleaning schedule and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria66 View Post
    My bunny was not too smelly. Before getting any pet though I would check online about the care and habitats and type of diet etc. The most common ailments. I have not had turtles but I have had fish and rabbits and guinea pigs and cats and dogs.
    I'm checking online, however, I would like to get people's experiences on having them as pets. I'm also considering the actual costs of owning a turtle. I am also checking out how much vets would cost since turtles are considered exotic pets rather than domestics.
    ---Dalai Lama

Platinum Member
    I would not care for a turtle for myself, for example, because they do not show affection to humans as a cat or dog do...chi

Bronze Member
    If you want to look after a rabbit properly they are not low maintenance, as there is a lot of wrong info out there. They need adequate space, not just a tiny hutch, companionship, vaccinations, a proper diet of hay and veggies and their litter tray needs to be cleaned regularly.

Never had a turtle though.

Bronze Member
    If you want clean and low maintenance run away fast! Turtles are far from both. I had two. They stink like hell and they take constant work to keep the tank semi decent, not to mention lots of money for filter pieces and such.
    Just trying to figure things out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
Through a Dog's Eyes
by Jennifer Arnold
Early one cool September morning when I was sixteen years old, I jumped out of my bed, headed for the bathroom. A split second after my feet hit the ...
Solving Your Cat's Behavior Problems
by Pam Johnson
To be a feline behavior consultant takes guts. Not because of anything cats might do, but because you inevitably become jokingly referred to as the ...
How to Get Your Dog to Do What You Want: A Loving Approach to Unleashing Your Dog's Astonishing Potential
by Warren Eckstein, Andrea Eckstein
What You Put In Is What You Get Out As far as I'm concerned, a dog is a product of what's put into him. Two factors determine the personality, ...