Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kissing cousins? Is it ok?

Question Kissing cousins? Is it ok?

Hey everyone,

This is something I've always heard mixed opinions on. I'm curious what the truth is.

I've heard that it's technically ok for cousins to date/marry; that there really isn't anything morally/physically wrong with it. (Another saying I've heard: "Second & up, it's ok to f**k." lol, as in second cousin-or-above, it's ok to date/marry/ahem, the word in the saying.) ...but is it true? Or is it actually morally and physically wrong to get together with a cousin? (First, second, or otherwise?)

I've heard that if cousins marry and have a child, the child will be deformed; "have bugged-out eyes." (I don't know if this is true, it's just one of the things I've heard about getting together with a cousin!)

If anyone knows what the truth is (not the many rumors/sayings I've heard) please reply. Thanks!

Platinum Member
    I have a friend who's mother was born to kissing cousins. His mother is slightly whacky. But she managed to get married and had 2 kids (he was one of them) and he turned out perfectly normal.

But yeah, I wouldn't get with a cousin!

From what I understand, a child produced from two first-cousins has about the same risk of birth defects/disorders/mutations as a child born of a woman 40 years of age and older.
    "Yes, you'll have problems. But they'll be your problems. And besides, what would you do without them? The problems are what get you out of bed in the morning. They're what makes succeeding at things such a goddamned rush. You can't be a dragon slayer without dragons."

[Formerly known as TwistOfate08]

Quote Originally Posted by Autumnrose View Post

I've heard that if cousins marry and have a child, the child will be deformed;
    I think that this is really more a case where there are generations of cousins intermarrying.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

You have a right to experiment with your life. You will make mistakes. And they are right too.- Anais Nin

I heard about this web on TV. It should have a lot of informationhttp://www.cousincouples.com/
    "Recognizing somebody else's power does not diminish your own." -Joss Whedon
    "Saying that you're a nice guy is like a restaurant whose only selling point is that the food doesn't make you sick [...]"- http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/#ixzz2mOdY2dPO

Platinum Member
    There is some increased risk when 2 cousins marry and have children. I wouldn't say that it's HORRIBLY increased but it's definitely more than 2 people who aren't blood related.

I've made out with my cousin. He's older by 4-5 years. It's not something that I talk about. We used to "fondle" each other when we were young and then made out when I was older and went on a "date".

I kid you not. Not something I tell many people. My family doesn't know. Now I haven't seen him in so many years and I'm not in contact. I don't really care. It doesn't matter to me if I ever see him again.

I personally wouldn't do it again.

There is enough genetic diversity for cousins to have children together, but the stigma seems to be social and cultural. Some cultures allow cousins to marry and/or encourage it.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it the superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine

"The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Interesting...my question doesn't seem to be answered clearly, though. Thanks for responses!

What question do you want answered, specifically?
    "Yes, you'll have problems. But they'll be your problems. And besides, what would you do without them? The problems are what get you out of bed in the morning. They're what makes succeeding at things such a goddamned rush. You can't be a dragon slayer without dragons."

[Formerly known as TwistOfate08]

Platinum Member
    If you're asking about morals, I don't think it's MORALLY wrong to get with a cousin.

Then again, I define "morals" by the simple question: DOES THIS HURT SOMEONE?

You boning or marrying your cousin, outside of some possibly family upset (then again, families usually freak at many things), well, it's not hurting anyone, so it's not immoral.

However, societal customs and society's idea of what is "okay" is usually not in line with what is moral. Cheating and having mistresses is more acceptable in our society than marrying your cousin, which I think is just ridiculous. So if you get with a cousin, expect some backlash and possible family strife.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
For the new generation of children social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace are among the most common activities and, in ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Adult men who had their parents divorced before they turned 18 are at a significantly higher risk of suffering a stroke when compared to men whose ...
by David B. Van Heemst
Based on the latest research and his personal experience as the father of five daughters, author David B. Van Heemst details what a father must do in ...