Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Men Cry After A Breakup?

I'm not a man but, I have male friends who have cried on my shoulder after break ups or for other reasons.
    I don't think that anybody should ever feel ashamed, weak or emasculated in any way because of crying.
    I just see it as a natural, human release of emotion.
    Though it is my understanding that MOST males will hide away to cry and will present an 'I'm 100% in control' attitude to the outside world.
    Don't hold strong opinions about things you don't fully understand.

Platinum Member
    Crying is what the body automatically does.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpiglet View Post
    I'm not a man but, I have male friends who have cried on my shoulder after break ups or for other reasons.
    I don't think that anybody should ever feel ashamed, weak or emasculated in any way because of crying.
    I just see it as a natural, human release of emotion.
    Though it is my understanding that MOST males will hide away to cry and will present an 'I'm 100% in control' attitude to the outside world.
    It appears that way, generally speaking. I've had a couple boyfriends and male friends that were completely comfortable crying in front of me(arguments, movies, whatever it may be), but probably the majority, when their eyes would cloud, they'd get angry and frustrated with themselves for the 'loss of control' and instead of crying they'd snap verbally or go 'walk it off'.

Generally speaking, the ones who were more comfortable with that expression of emotion were more emotionally healthy and content, less anger-ridden. Just saying.

Silver Member
    I cried a few times and still well up and it's been two months. I never did it to her or around anybody else. The first couple of times I wailed in my apartment. I can still hear the echo. I haven't been that sad in a really long time. But it allowed me to release my emotions. But it became more difficult because she was contacting me still all the time, every day, wanted to see each other almost everyday etc. So I didn't know what was going on and thought we were just taking care of a few issues. But I then realized she had her sights on someone else. I wailed again. Not to her, by myself alone. The wailing began to stop after 3 or 4 times, now I just well up and take a deep breath and dry my eyes. I think it releases feelings you can't verbally express. It has actually made me feel better so I am not ashamed as I kept it to myself. I have caught myself a few times preferring to cry to release the terrible feelings in my chest and stomach which I still have to this day. But that too is going away. I think crying is okay because it works for me. But one thing I will never do is cry to her about her taking me back, i'll change, i'm sorry, etc. No way, that'll never work and it will just push them further away and me further away from myself.

Ofcourse I cried. I cried my eyes out. Even after 2 months after the breakup, I still cry occationally. Especially since I've heard she's already going on dates with other guys. But what can you do about it? Crying is necessary, in my opinion. I actually feel better after crying. It doesn't make me feel less masculine, it makes me feel human and alive. Men are not heartless. They do have emotions, even though they hate to show them. They always try to look confident, cool and like they don't care at all. But they do care. Men hate to show weakness, especially to their (male) friends. It's like putting a mask on. When they are by themselves, alone in their room, they feel sad. They probably cry too.

Bronze Member
    Yes, I have cried multiple times after break ups or after the death of loved ones. But, echoing the comments in this thread, I take great lengths to ensure that I am alone and no one will know I am crying.

Bronze Member
    I did once during the breakup and once afterwards to my mom. It was beneficial. I feel no less manly or insecure about it. I would worry about people that never cry.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenWillILove View Post
    Wow He must be a hot one, right? Too cool for crying, eh?
    No i mean i thought he was gonna tell me to sack up and he was supportive lol

Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    I've seen men sob like babies. Young ones and old ones. Yes, they most definitely do cry over women.

Yep. I cry whenever I feel I need to. Hell, every time I watch the movie "Saving Private Ryan" I'm totally balling at the end.

And to answer the OPs question. Yes I have cried over a breakup. I think most men who were in love with someone and it didn't work out have...even if their ego doesn't allow them to admit it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Checking and following the activities of an ex partner through social networking site Facebook can seriously interfere with a person's ability to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Most people get divorced hoping to have a better life and find more happiness than they had in their marriage. However, a new national study by Iowa ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Brides who hesitate about getting married might want to consider having second thoughts before starting a life-long commitment, suggest psychologists ...