Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Men Cry After A Breakup?

Silver Member

Do Men Cry After A Breakup?

I just want to know how many of you men have actually cried (no, not teared up) after a breakup.
    Have you kept it a secret from your male friends? Female friends?
    Do you feel ashamed because you did cry?
    Do you feel a weaker man?
    Does crying emasculate you in any way? How?

I cried and some times still do 2 weeks later, I don't no why? I think it makes me feel like I actually gave it my all. Do I feel weaker, no. She never cried for me, at least that I know of. In all of my break ups, about 50/50 I cried..the times I didn't were ones I was cheated on, or that I saw it coming and dropped the hand of doom on them before the had a chance to strike. I know that sounds "macho" but in my younger years, as a lot of 21 year olds are claiming "it gets better, I promise" I was numb, I had hope, and I had no experience with actual adult heartbreak, after college or uni everything changes. But in regards to your question, I have seen a good amount of men cry after a break up, dumper or dumpee...why do you care?

Bronze Member
    I cried in front of my best friend, who is also my workout spotter, who wrestled in high school, started training in mixed martial arts, almost did natural bodybuilding, and was training for the navy seals...he's like the most masculine guy I know. He patted me on the back.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AloneAgain19 View Post
    I cried in front of my best friend, who is also my workout spotter, who wrestled in high school, started training in mixed martial arts, almost did natural bodybuilding, and was training for the navy seals...he's like the most masculine guy I know. He patted me on the back.
    Wow He must be a hot one, right? Too cool for crying, eh?

I cried a few times soon after the breakup. It doesn't make me feel like a weaker man nor do i feel ashamed about it.

The only time I ever cried in my adult years (not just tears) was when my friend died. I'm not ashamed that I did and honestly, I'd be more ashamed if I didn't.
    After that, I just couldn't bring myself to ever feel like that ever again. Even after my break up with my ex.

I will say this though, on some levels, losing my ex was in some ways more painful than losing my friend. I hate to say it, but sometimes that's how it felt. Maybe it was cause the pain of losing my ex was so fresh to me. It's not that the break up wasn't intense, but I just can't cry like that ever again unless something really painful triggers it. That's not to say that I don't tear up sometimes, infact just the thought of my friend right now makes me wanna tear.

Bronze Member
    Sure I did, but no point telling anyone.

In all honesty, I've only cried once in my adult life and that was the night my mother died a few years ago. Haven't cried since and I'm not entirely sure it's physically possible for me to cry.

My worst break up left me EXTREMELY sad and depressed but I did not cry. Not because I think it's macho not to cry or anything, just that I'm not sure my tear ducts actually work anymore because I don't even know how I would go about crying.

I don't think crying makes a man weaker at all. Blubbing over everything is probably too much but something that is emotionally heartbreaking or taxing like a break up or a death or something similiar is a very valid.
    - With metta -

And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
    Don't want to be down here feeding my narcissism.
    I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
    I pray the light lifts me out
    Before I pine away.

me and my girlfriend broke up after 2 1/2 years. im only 19. i cried like a baby. and i still do. pretty much miserable. i tell my friends. im not ashamed at all! because i know that the pain that i deal with!

Being masculine and not crying from emotional abuse as a male is forced upon males in New Zealand from a an early age.

Ironically we have the second highest male suicide rate per capita and most related to break ups.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the World will know peace -Sri Chinmoy Ghose

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Checking and following the activities of an ex partner through social networking site Facebook can seriously interfere with a person's ability to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Most people get divorced hoping to have a better life and find more happiness than they had in their marriage. However, a new national study by Iowa ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Brides who hesitate about getting married might want to consider having second thoughts before starting a life-long commitment, suggest psychologists ...