So, I started a new job in retail this week (I wont give away the company name, but basically im a sales floor associate). I met this guy for the first time at orientation. I sat next to him at the table. I said something funny (in response to something someone said). Apparently, that got his attention. He seemed to think it was hilarious. We introduced ourselves. Nothing crazy about it. However I come to find out that ill be working in his department. He seemed genuinely happy and surprised to have me in his department. I must admit... he's an attractive guy... I was pretty pleased.
So fast forward to my training week. I come to find out that the guy I thought was so attractive, will be the employee i'll be shadowing (learning from) all week. Haha, nice.
So since yesterday I have been shadowing him. And since then, I have been questioning whether or not he seems interested in me or if hes just being a friendly mentor and coworker. Hes a great mentor and is extremely helpful, but im trying to figure out if hes trying to get to know me more for other reasons. I'll list some things he does that have led me to wonder. (aside from normal mentor/coworker interaction. Btw, he is not my supervisor. Hes just another employee in my department.)
- He holds eye contact. A lot. Sometimes it can be a bit intimidating for me. (in regular conversation and work related)
- Asks me about my personal life, interests, ect (when we are alone.) Seems genuinely thrilled that we have a lot in common.
- Laughs at my stupid jokes. And tries to make me laugh.
- He gets teased by his fellow male coworkers about training me (in front of me)
- Touches me A LOT. Not in a creepy way. But to guide me and sometimes when hes next to me, he'll put his hand on the small of my back, touches my hand to get my attention about something, high fives a lot, hand on my shoulder at times. He does these often.
- Since he and I have the same interests in film, he told me he needed someone to see movies with. A movie "buddy" if you will.
- At the end of our first day together, he asked me if I wanted to go see a movie and get a bite to eat. He asked for my number. He called me after work and we met up. We both paid our own way and had a great time. Laughed and joked around throughout the movie and talked a lot at dinner about ourselves.
- Offers up opportunities to see more movies with me. Talks about other places as well (such as the aquarium. We both love animals.)
- Brags about me to other people (coworkers and customers. Not just about work related things) Its flattering.
- Offered me his jacket on a rainy day.
- On the other hand, hes the sort of guy that says "Man" and "Dude" a lot in conversation with people. Says it to me. I figure its just his thing. Or a sign that he means to just be friends.
Haha, perhaps im reading into this a bit much. He is a very friendly/outgoing sort of person. His intentions may very well be purely friendly. But what do you think? My intuition is saying that hes wanting to get to know me more for reasons other than friendship.
What would you make of this? Its only my second official day at work and my gut says hes may be interested. I still haven't decided if I want to pursue something more than friendship. Of course, I have to figure out what his intentions are first.