Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member renaissancewoman101's Avatar

If you pull a muscle in your back, how long does it take to heal up???

About 2 weeks ago, I hurt myself on a landing, where I fell down about 6 ft, onto my butt. My lower back was in a lot of pain that I even had problems sleeping. Went to the doctor to have it checked out and he told me that I pulled some muscles. He prescribed me Vicodin and Flexeril (muscle relaxant).

It's almost 2 weeks later and my back is feeling a bit better but it gets stiff and I still hurt, especially in the lower back, towards my right side. If I stand for too long or am on my feet for a long time, my back will act up badly the next day. I am still taking the Vicodin on occasion, for the back pain.

I want to go up again this weekend. I'm hoping to be better. I'm just not sure since my back still hurts. And the side pain is a real bother. I'm trying not to take the pain pills anymore because I don't have a lot left (the doc didnt give me a lot).

For those of you who have hurt their lower back before (while doing a sport), and pulled a muscle, how long did it take for you to heal? Also, did you take pain meds?
    Last edited by renaissancewoman101; 07-06-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    <---- sleepy Jasper

I took me about 4-5 weeks to feel compeletely functional. I my pulled lats in football when I got streched too far during a tackle. It was around week 3 the stiffness went away but after that I was just sore mostly, with limited mobility.

I found for pain management was stretching and rubbing some icy hot around the area. The stretch I did was hanging from a pull up bar for about 30 secs, in about 3-4 sets. So about 2 mins of stretching and some relaxing with the icy hot.

I pulled a ligament in my neck and need to wear a neckbrace for 4-6 weeks. so thats how long that takes to heal...

Yikes, I hope it don't take me that long to heal . 4-6 weeks is a LONG time.
    <---- sleepy Jasper

For me, I took no pain meds beyond Tylenol. I had injured my lower back lifting something while moving. It was also about four to six horrible weeks before it stopped hurting, and even then I'd still feel a twinge here and there--but I was functional and back at work after a week or two. The weeks go by; slowly but they do go by, and it hurts less and less. The hardest part was that I was living alone in a townhouse with four floors, where everything was on different floors. I had just moved to a totally new place, started a new job, and knew nobody. Gosh, that was a bad time. For months after it was fine I was still terrified of doing something to re-injure it, but that didn't happen. Thankfully it's been a year and a half, and the whole thing is just a distant awful memory now. My good wishes, and feel better soon.

Platinum Member
    Usually 6 weeks for any of my sports-related muscle injuries.

You really need to let it heal properly. If you don't, you'll just keep it weakened.

And yes, I've taken pain killers, but that's only because they were fun (and effective - lol). Ibuprofen works very well, but you need to watch how many you pop.

I also use these things called Flector patches, which are NSAID patches that you apply to the affected area so the meds are absorbed more locally rather than systemically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel85 View Post
    Usually 6 weeks for any of my sports-related muscle injuries.

You really need to let it heal properly. If you don't, you'll just keep it weakened.

And yes, I've taken pain killers, but that's only because they were fun (and effective - lol). Ibuprofen works very well, but you need to watch how many you pop.

I also use these things called Flector patches, which are NSAID patches that you apply to the affected area so the meds are absorbed more locally rather than systemically.
    Agreed with you once again. Can you say something stupid so I can disagree for once? OP, don't push it. Wasn't it you who broke her ankle? I think you learned your lesson with pushing healing Just take it easy, ice, give it a good month and evaluate then.
    "The point is, acceptance is the magic answer. Accept who you are, who she is, the situation, how things will likely turn out--and that takes away the pain that comes from wanting to change something." - CrapAtNC

"They just want you as a friend so they can ween themselves off you. They want their cake and eat it too. So I chose to shove the cake down his throat" - Karma20

Did the doctor do an MRI to be sure that it wasn't a herniated disc? If you have continued pain you need to check with the doctor to make sure it is not a more serious issue and you definitely shouldn't jump again until you are pain free and know the problem has gone away.

It can take 4-6 weeks for back spasms to really leave, but you have to take it easy until they do or they'll never go away.

I didn't break my ankle, I sprained my foot a few months back, and couldn't do stuff for about 6 wks.

No, the doc did NOT do an MRI. All he did was an x-ray. If it continues hurting, I am going to go back to the doc and see what else they can do for it.

If it is a herniated disc, how long does that take to heal?
    <---- sleepy Jasper

Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by renaissancewoman101 View Post
    I didn't break my ankle, I sprained my foot a few months back, and couldn't do stuff for about 6 wks.

No, the doc did NOT do an MRI. All he did was an x-ray. If it continues hurting, I am going to go back to the doc and see what else they can do for it.

If it is a herniated disc, how long does that take to heal?

It may never heal, Ren. My husband and I both have them. Our activities are limited. You could have surgery but we choose not to. And my doctor told me not to mess with that unless I absolutely had to. If you only have a pulled muscle after that, consider yourself very fortunate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...