Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people delete me as a friend on Facebook?

Why do people delete me as a friend on Facebook?

So I've been noticing something lately, and it kind of bothers me actually. Sometimes I'll notice someone I used to be friends with on Facebook is no longer friends with me on there. Sometimes I don't really care (maybe they just want to remove people that aren't really friends), but sometimes I'm surprised by it.

Sometimes they'll be girls I know and that seems to bother me more than when guys delete me. For example, I was friends with this girl I went to school with on there, and I kind of liked her but she had a boyfriend so I never made a move on her. But if she posted pictures, I would take a look. I mean I'm not stalking her, that's just what you do on Facebook, right? It's not like I was obsessed, but yeah I'd look sometimes. Is it possible she could tell somehow and found it creepy so she deleted me?

But ok, that was fine, but now today I noticed this girl that I knew somewhat well has deleted me. She was roommates with a friend of mine (definitely Facebook friend worthy). Put it this way, if I saw her on the street I would fully expect a conversation to catch up with her. I would look at her pictures sometimes too but now I'm no longer friends with her on there. She's still friends with our mutual friends though...What the heck?

Can these people tell I look at their pictures and then decide to put a stop to it? I feel so creepy now, but I mean, isn't that what everyone does on Facebook? I'm not trying to contact these people or anything, and I thought profile/picture viewing was private.

Facebook says that the friends that show up on the left side of your profile are based on the events you attend together and public comments you make to each other, but I think it's more complex. I think it also factors in how often you look at their profile/pictures and vice versa. I wish I had known that before I unintentionally freaked out all the random acquaintances I know...

Anyway, just wanted to say that. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much, but this bothered me even more because I thought I knew this most recent girl who deleted me pretty well. The fact that she went out of her way to remove me as a friend stings a bit. Oh well...

What do you say in your status updates? I've deleted guys who make kind of sexist or negative comments. Like women are stupid, or he hates america (he is an immigrant here). Even people from his own culture were telling him, 'if you don't like it, go home.' i didn't like all of the negativity. i deleted him.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

do you know for a fact they specifically kicked you off or did they just delete their own profiles?
    "I believe that everything happens for a reason.
    People change so that you can learn to let go,
    things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right,
    you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself,
    and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."
    Marilyn Monroe

Bronze Member
    Did you talk to those people that deleted you as a friend often?? Usually I like to keep my closest friends and family on facebook and if I find myself not talking to a certain group of people within a certain time frame and months pass without talking, I will normally delete them as a friend because I personally feel that they're just wasting space on my profile. It's nothing personal really but I don't like people adding me as a friend then we don't communicate. A lot of people from elementary school through college add me all the time, mostly people I weren't really close with back then, so I never see a point in them adding me, I usually delete these people just as soon as they add me.

I also delete people if they have annoying status messages that bother me like Annie24 pointed out. Usually I get annoyed when people just flood the news feed with dumb pointless status messages constantly..

It's quite possible that it's from status updates.

I just had a good friend from high school delete me, but I know why. It's because I made a bunch of jokes about the rapture and God (he is a conservative Christian.) I also post a lot of pro-Democrat stuff, and he's Republican, so yeah, no surprise there!

One girl deleted me after I didn't attend a bunch of events she invited me to. I've had a pretty chaotic year, to be honest, and wanted to go, but never found the time. I was kind of hurt by it. I supported her cause, I just didn't have the time to go.

I rarely post anything to Facebook. A picture on a rare occassion, and never status updates. And even if I did, she could just hide them. I can't see how many friends she has, but I imagine its a couple hundred (which is pretty normal). And yeah, she definitely still has a profile, because I came across the option to add her as I was in the "find friends" section. And like I said, I definitely know her well enough to be friends on Facebook. I'm not sure why she and a few other people have gone out of their way to delete me as a friend. I'm pretty sure nothing happened in person to make them distance themselves from me.

If you're not relevant in their life anymore, nor they yours, then it's natural for people to delete you. Don't take it personally.
    No Contact or GTFO!

Reasons why you shouldn't be friends/in contact with your ex!: http://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381011

Changing your social media/computer to promote healing: http://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382739

Quote Originally Posted by dramallama View Post
    If you're not relevant in their life anymore, nor they yours, then it's natural for people to delete you. Don't take it personally.
    Yeah I mean I won't lose sleep over it, but I think everyone has some friends that they barely know on Facebook. And I definitely KNOW her, plus we have mutual friends. And the fact that she consciously decided that I wasn't even worthy to be one of the 200 people she knows is crazy to me. I think I just feel uncomfortable with the idea of Facebook overall...

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by universalsigh View Post
    I rarely post anything to Facebook. A picture on a rare occassion, and never status updates. And even if I did, she could just hide them. I can't see how many friends she has, but I imagine its a couple hundred (which is pretty normal). And yeah, she definitely still has a profile, because I came across the option to add her as I was in the "find friends" section. And like I said, I definitely know her well enough to be friends on Facebook. I'm not sure why she and a few other people have gone out of their way to delete me as a friend. I'm pretty sure nothing happened in person to make them distance themselves from me.
    But do you talk to these people often on facebook and in real life? If you don't communicate with them often, that maybe the reason they decided to delete you. I do it all of the time.. Don't take it personally.

I take it personally too but maybe they only want close friends or maybe they didn't think we talked ever so they cleaned house per say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
One of the biggest causes of stress and unhappiness in life are failed relationships. Making a relationship work is one of the most important life ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It has been universally acknowledged that having a long distance relationship is not such a good idea, especially if there is no known end-date to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Some people say that when we deeply love or care about someone we automatically open the door to betrayal. I am not sure whether such statement holds ...