Legs rubbing raw from work...

I know this is gross, sorry... But I work in a machine shop and it gets really hot in there. I wear carheart pants because they are durable... I wore regular jeans to work for a while, but they didn't hold up.

Sometimes the insides of my legs get raw from the friction of my pants rubbing up against them. And it gets really bad at times. Today I had to call off from work because of it. I know that makes me sound like a real wimp, but once I put my work pants on this morning, it hurt so bad just to walk that I couldn't stand it. I tried bandaging them, and the bandages came off within a few minutes. The insides of my legs are so raw right now that they are bleeding a little...

I'm pissed... because now I will lose 8 hours of overtime pay. (I work 7 days a week, about 60 hours total.) But that's beside the point.

It also gets really hot inside where I work. The shop I work in does forging and I work right next to the forging area. Yesterday it got up to 115 degrees in my work area. I have a thermometer, I'm not just throwing that number out off the top of my head. I think the heat is just going to make this worse.

I have tried baby powder and it does nothing. I put baby powder on the tender areas and by the time I get back to my work station it hurts again.

I've told my boss about this problem too, and she just thinks I'm being a wimp.

So does anyone have any suggestion. It hurts like hell and it doesn't seem to be healing very fast.

That sounds painful.

You might want to try out some of the creams or gels that are marketed as anti-chafing products. They are usually marketed to athletes because a lot of people who play sports have similar issues with their uniforms or other gear, much like workers do.

You may have better luck finding those products in a sports store rather than a drug store. There seem to be a lot of them online too: link removed#

Hi Cynder, sorry but it sounds like you'll have no choice but to rest up, let the skin heal for a few days, and then do whatever you can do to prevent it happening again. Continuing to work, though providing money, will probably greatly delay the healing process, maybe enough to not even be worth it, since if healed you can get overtime pay to partially make up for it.

Are you certain it's only the heat and perspiration--or could you have psoriasis? My son has it and if we don't stay on top of the situation his skin would be like you described.....I'd suggest seeing a dermatologist--if you are the only person at the shop who has this issue--maybe there's more to it than just the excessive heat?

As far as a moisturizer--we use hydrolatum (hydrated petrolatum) it's purified petrolium (a purer form of vasoline) and it works wonders on sensitive skin!

If you do find out it's psoriasis--send me a message and I'll let you know what prescriptions do/don't work--we've tried them all and they hold out on the good stuff cos it's very pricey!

hope this helps?

Hi Cynder, sorry but it sounds like you'll have no choice but to rest up, let the skin heal for a few days, and then do whatever you can do to prevent it happening again. Continuing to work, though providing money, will probably greatly delay the healing process, maybe enough to not even be worth it, since if healed you can get overtime pay to partially make up for it.

Bigger then just this... I wonder how long my body can handle this job. This is the kind of job that could shave years off a life, and I mean it... It's really physical work. I lift a lot. And I have to wear braces on my wrists and arms to protect them. I also have to wear a mask on my face a lot because of all the smoke that is pumped into my work area because of the forging presses. It's ironic... I quit smoking cigarettes over a year ago, and now I am still breathing in smoke at work.

Add to all that the amount of time I work... and the overtime is mandatory. It's not like I choose to work 7 days a week... I am made to. It's pretty sad that the economy here has gotten so bad that employers can treat their workers like slaves and people will put up with it because the job market is so bad.

At least the money is good... I do give them that. Where I work pays pretty well, especially considering I'm still a temp.

Are you certain it's only the heat and perspiration--or could you have psoriasis? My son has it and if we don't stay on top of the situation his skin would be like you described.....I'd suggest seeing a dermatologist--if you are the only person at the shop who has this issue--maybe there's more to it than just the excessive heat?

As far as a moisturizer--we use hydrolatum (hydrated petrolatum) it's purified petrolium (a purer form of vasoline) and it works wonders on sensitive skin!

If you do find out it's psoriasis--send me a message and I'll let you know what prescriptions do/don't work--we've tried them all and they hold out on the good stuff cos it's very pricey!

hope this helps?

I doubt it's that... It was never an issue before I started this job. And it's just the inner part of my thighs that get like that.

You aren't the first person to suggest I see a Doctor about it though. So I think it's at least worth checking out.

It sounds like really bad chaffing. If you're wearing jeans with rough edges they can cause irritation, same as clothing that is too tight or too lose - it creates friction and rubbing therefore resulting in chaffing.

Try applying some vaseline, let it sit for a few minutes and then apply some baby powder on top to heal the skin. You might also try Neosporin (haven't used it myself but have heard of many runners using it), BodyGlide and I've heard Aquaphor is good for those with severe skin conditions.

It could also be the type of clothing you wear (material wise) at work.

That's an issue of your thighs rubbing up against each other in different directions as you walk, causing bad friction. Try wearing some long and tight spandexy workout shorts under your clothes, the kinds that hold your figure in might help prevent your thighs from touching so bad.

That's an issue of your thighs rubbing up against each other in different directions as you walk, causing bad friction. Try wearing some long and tight spandexy workout shorts under your clothes, the kinds that hold your figure in might help prevent your thighs from touching so bad.

I went and bought two pairs of boxers and a pair of workout shorts... hopefully one of the three will deliver some relief.

Cynder,

Maybe you could get some gauze and put a triple antibiotic with pain relief on it. Then put the workout shorts over that. It sounds miserable.

I bought some surgical gauze at the store today. I have trippled antibiotic ointment from my last tattoo. I'll try that.

from my last tattoo

That reminds me....A&D ointment might give some relief too if you are using gauze. My husband used it on his tattoo. One of it's uses is also for dry chafed skin. It might be something to apply regularly once you heal a little more. link removed When my son was a baby it was the only thing that helped his diaper rash, which is also raw and painful.

That reminds me....A&D ointment might give some relief too if you are using gauze. My husband used it on his tattoo. One of it's uses is also for dry chafed skin. It might be something to apply regularly once you heal a little more. link removed When my son was a baby it was the only thing that helped his diaper rash, which is also raw and painful.

I have some of that too that I could try...

A girl I work with told me her legs used to get like this too and she said vasiline clears it up too.

Archived