Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mother and Daughter Sharing a Room.

I would like to know what you think about a Mother and a 13 Year daughter sharing a room. Mother sleeps in the bed and daughter sleeps on a mattress on the floor. This has been going on for years. Daughter has never had her own room.

What are your thoughts?

Is it a case where the family simply cannot afford a separate bedroom for the daughter?
    You can make the world a better place - one person at a time.

Question is why?

If it's because it's a small house and that's really the only sleep arrangement available, then okay. sometimes stuff like that happens and you just have to deal.

However, if it's because they CAN'T sleep apart for whatever reason (maybe the daughter gets emotional?) then it's reason to worry.
    I apologize in advance for any typos.

"Every road leads to your door, every step I take forever more..."

Platinum Member
    I've seen families of 7 or more sleep in the same room in some countries. Obviously it depends on the situation.

They live with my Ex-wife's Mother.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    If they can not afford another room, then this happens.
    ADHD= Attention Dialed into a Higher Dimension. For my son .

If you judge people you have no time to love them. Mother Teresa

Be not afraid. I go before you always. Come follow me and I will give you rest

As for Me and My House We Will Serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Life only goes around once but never again~~Fred Stobaugh

Bronze Member
    Please explain further: Is it because there are no other rooms? Or are there other rooms available, but they choose the sleeping arrangement still? If that's the case, is the daughter somehow mentally/developmentally delayed, and requires more attention?

There are a lot of variables to look at.

Platinum Member
    I agree with those who say you need to know more. I don't think there's anything wrong with it if they sleep in separate beds. I might have some concerns if it was the same bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudude1 View Post
    They live with my Ex-wife's Mother.
    Hard to give thoughts without more information. Is this due to financial necessity? Is it related to the number of rooms available where they are staying?

I encounter this situation every other weekend when my son is over at baby daddy's; they sleep in the same room (though in separate beds). It's for financial reasons; baby daddy doesn't make the income to afford a two-bedroom home.

Is it ideal? No. But is it worth removing the child out of the home of a parent? Absolutely not. As the saying goes... "crap happens." As long as the mother is caring for the child and it is a loving environment, then it shouldn't matter.... Removing the child from a loving parent is far, far, far more damaging than any potential emotional damage that could occur by sharing the same sleeping space as a parent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
For the new generation of children social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace are among the most common activities and, in ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Adult men who had their parents divorced before they turned 18 are at a significantly higher risk of suffering a stroke when compared to men whose ...
by David B. Van Heemst
Based on the latest research and his personal experience as the father of five daughters, author David B. Van Heemst details what a father must do in ...