Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can I lose weight just by exercising 5 days a week and cutting calories?

I've tried almost every "diet" out there. The only one that worked for me was the HCG one. I did it last year and lost 40 lbs, I was pre-diabetic and I needed to shed some weight FAST. I tried doing it again but it's not good. It's only 500 calories a day and I feel so weak on it. I want to get the rest of the weight off (about 50 lbs) the right way. Just working out and eating better. I want to change my lifestyle! It's hard because I love sweets and I tend to over-eat after only about 3 days of eating better. How can I stick to this? Any tips? What foods should I eat? How often should I work out? I am 21 years old, about 5'5, and female (obviously) Right now I weight 217.2, I've been this weigh for about a month, I am stuck! I used to be almost 250 before I did the HCG diet but I can't do that again. Like I said...I need to do this the right way!

HELP please!

sincerely,
    sick of being fat!

Any weight you lose fast will come back fast, that is the definition of yo-yo dieting. Eat healthy, work-out (in a healthy way, don't kill yourself 5 days a week). You should only be losing about 2lbs a week if you are being healthy.

Talk to your doctor also, s/he will be able to give you a lot of good information.
    "Recognizing somebody else's power does not diminish your own." -Joss Whedon
    "Saying that you're a nice guy is like a restaurant whose only selling point is that the food doesn't make you sick [...]"- http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/#ixzz2mOdY2dPO

Silver Member
    The best way to lose weight is to exercise and by watching your diet.

The most effective exercises to do- which you will notice an almost immediate difference, is cardio (meaning the tread mill), and soon after the run on the treadmill, weight training. Do those two together and you will see a dramatic effect.

With diet - don't eat out at the fast foods - like McDonalds, KFC, etc - but at your local restaurants. Most of these places like taco bell and McDonalds use meat that has been injected with hormones. Hormones can plump you up even without your wanting to. 'The reason why fast foods corporations arrange to inject hormones into their meat products is because they want to speed up the growth of chickens and red meat so that they can sell quickly and make a profit. What most people dont' realize is that once they eat this meat, they also ingest the hormones and it not only makes one "get older", but it makes one plump and may eventually cause cancer in some people.

So once again - two ways to really lose weight - cardio and strength training - and avoidance of fast food restaurants. Oh, also, if you drink fruit juices and soda, I would strongly suggest you stop. The amount of sugar in these drinks is the equivalent of not only eating one, but two meals!

Finally, verify everything with your doctor. Don't start an exercise program unless you've gotten the checkup.

Silver Member
    What's your daily routine on the days you do exercise?
    To help cut down the over eating, it would help if you were busy. Most people over eat simply because they have nothing better to do.
    The Relationship That Completely Changed My Life
    http://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362683

Almost doesn't change anything.

Liebe ist fur alle da - Nicht für mich.

Watching my portion size and exercising for an hour 4 days a week is working for me.
    "I am and always will be- the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes. The dreamer of improbable dreams." - The Eleventh Doctor

When life doesn’t go quite as planned yell “plot twist!” and move on. -- Thanks for this, Sherry. :)

I have work 5 days a week. I am on my feet 6 hours a day working as a housekeeper. Also, I am allowed to use the gym at my work so after my shift I usually do 30 mins on the treadmill, and 15 on the bike or elliptical. I also do Zumba for the Wii at home, and I just started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. The thing is, I have a lot of weight to lose. I've been overweight my entire life. Most of my weight is in my stomach...gross. I've been to my doctor. He says to workout with what I am comfortable with and keep my calories under 1200. It's just hard to know exactly what to eat and all this stuff...I've already cut out soda and I drink hot green tea every night. I love juice though. Like orange juice and apple juice....

One tip is to at each meal look at whats on your plate. Is it colorful? Dark green veggies, fruits etc. If you whole plate is nothing but brown and/or pale thats a bad sign.
    "Recognizing somebody else's power does not diminish your own." -Joss Whedon
    "Saying that you're a nice guy is like a restaurant whose only selling point is that the food doesn't make you sick [...]"- http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/#ixzz2mOdY2dPO

Platinum Member
    I find that sticking to an exercise program motivates me to eat better for several reasons -first because I don't want to mess up the results of the exercise, second because it makes me more in tune with my body and what I'm putting in my body, third because it motivates me to drink more water (which helps me stay full) and helped get me back to noticing my actual hunger/full cues not the emotional ones. And who wants to feel overly full when you know you have to exercise? I do a cardio "power walk" every day (about 2.5 miles) and walk fast at least a few extra miles a day. I don't do weight training unless carrying around a 30 pound toddler counts (hope it does!).

Platinum Member
    You are carrying nearly 100 extra pounds. With that amount of weight to lose, I suggest you contact a nutritionist, doctor and personal trainer. It's just too much weight for people to be able to advise you on a forum board on. When losing that kind of weight, you really need to be monitored by professionals.

Thanks everybody.

I cannot afford a personal trainer. I've seen a nutritionist and my doctor, more than once. I came here for just advice on foods and workouts from other people who are losing weight. If I lost 100 lbs, I would be 117. Way too thin. My goal weight is between 140-150. I love fruits, veggies, and I drink TONS of water. Nothing but, almost. If anyone has any good recipes for meals, let me know!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...