Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does an ex ever come back after they say they've moved on?

Bronze Member

Does an ex ever come back after they say they've moved on?

Trust me, in my case I'm not expecting it, but I've wondered this. My ex said she'd 'closed the door' on me. Personally, I've never been the one to end a relationship, so I've always wondered how people can just say I'm done with you for life.

My ex did eventually contact me, but in the end, I really don't know why. There was some reminising, talk of having missed me, our dinner meet - which she initiated went great, but she went ice cold the following day. I'll never know what happened.

Anyway, I guess my question is just, how do some people just decide - I'm done with you.

I wish I knew.. I wish I could tell you.
    Im sorry that you are going through this...

YA know, my ex told me one day to "Grow the f*** up" and also that she didn't want to speak to me for "at least two years". Not a month and a half later, she showed up at my door wanting to see me.

About a month ago, she told me "I'm done" and hasn't spoken to me since. Something about this time felt more final than that other time, but irregardless, people say a LOT of things they don't mean. Maybe they are, but just as they can say it now, they might regret it later.

My best friend's ex was in the Marines. He left her to go to Hawaii, and ended up getting married to some Hawaiian chick. Broke her heart. I still hate the bast*rd to this day for it. But anyway, he ended up getting divorced, and when he came back home after his stay in Hawaii as a divorced man, he of course called her up. Found out she had a new boyfriend who she's very happy with, and he basically flipped because he now wanted her back. SO.... moral of the story is... even if they move 1000 miles away and marry some random chick on an island, they could ALWAYS come back.

I don't believe in closing the door on other people, either. Sure, my ex is an idiot, but she's also an idiot I was madly in love with. If a few years down the line we could work out and the time was right... why not? *shrugs*
    ‎"You can't let it get you down, gotta carry on/We only lose things, cuz it make us strong" - Lupe Fiasco, 'Coming Up'

"The ego bruises deeper than the flesh"

Bronze Member
    I think they just say that stuff in the heat of the moment when they're upset, but over time, circumstances change, and their feelings about you can change as well! I think anything is possible... I try to look at my relationships with a positive attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by gumiibear View Post
    I think they just say that stuff in the heat of the moment when they're upset, but over time, circumstances change, and their feelings about you can change as well! I think anything is possible... I try to look at my relationships with a positive attitude.
    Have to agree with this.

If anything, I think having "moved on" opens up new doors for everyone.
    So here I go,
    I'm still scratching around the the same old hole.
    My body feels young,
    But my mind is very old.

Agree with Brownstone322

If by "come back" you mean "keep you on a string and re-connect, but never fully return in the back of their minds", then I would say yes.

Generally, though, they will usually not "come back" in the sense that things will go back to completely normal as they were before.

It's very possible. I think gumiibear hit it on the head. We all say many things in the heat of the moment but due to circumstances and time, feelings can change. With emotions, anything is possible. My ex told me she had moved on when we took a hiatus a couple of years ago. We eventually got back together a couple of months later. We can never truly understand why people do the things they do.

Silver Member
    Saying they moved on and actually moving on are two different things. Even though she may believe she moved on doesn't mean has. Will she come back? Only time knows that answer. All I know is everyone says that second chances rarely happen, so that means that people who have married most of them have never broken up not even once for in how many years before they were married. Sorry I'm not buying that at all. I think there are a lot more offers for second chances but the thing is most of the time the chance is offered the other has moved on. I believe that after a the first real breakup with space and NC (not 2 weeks breakups while talking everyday) there are more second chances offered than people realize. I've seen it happen a lot with friends and myself.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Checking and following the activities of an ex partner through social networking site Facebook can seriously interfere with a person's ability to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Most people get divorced hoping to have a better life and find more happiness than they had in their marriage. However, a new national study by Iowa ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Brides who hesitate about getting married might want to consider having second thoughts before starting a life-long commitment, suggest psychologists ...