Dent in middle of thumbnail - deficieny?

I've never had a dent in my thumb nail and now over the last few weeks, a dent has developed. I've googled it but not sure what sort of deficiency it could be... anyone ever have this?

Hi,

Have you recently (over the last several weeks) had any medical issues? On any medications over the last 4 weeks or so? How about any surgeries or anesthesia? Or maybe an injury to the cuticle of the affected nail?

Usually a dent in your fingernails just means that you suffered some type of illness or even a very stressful situation that cause the nails to stop growing for a little bit, then when they started to grow again, the nail will have a dent where it stopped at the cuticle. As it grows out, the dent becomes visible. It's usually not anything to worry about.

Hope this helps!
    Life is too short to be unhappy.

Perform an Act of Random Kindness everyday.

Some people can have all the lights on and still be in the dark.

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~Lao Tzu

thanks! no illness or medical issues in a while... I bit the nail pretty low before the dent showed up.. it's right above that 'moon' at the base of the nail.
    If it doesn't go away in a few months, i'll seek more info. thanks!

you are welcome! It should grow out as your nail grows. If it doesn't, or another dent starts growing out as the nail replaces itself, you may want to discuss it with a Dr. I am in vet medicine, I am no human Dr.! lol!
    Life is too short to be unhappy.

Perform an Act of Random Kindness everyday.

Some people can have all the lights on and still be in the dark.

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~Lao Tzu

I have a thumbnail that is quite ridged.

I share an office with a dietitian and asked her if it means I am deficient in anything, and she said for the most part, a deficiency would show in all nails, or atleast more than one specific one.

She did tell me that sometimes its associated with low protein, but we are together 40 hours a week and she says I get plenty of protein.

Most likely, I probably damaged my nail bed at some, or thats just the way that nail grows.
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I hear it call in the center of it all
    You're the love of my life, the love of my life
    I hear it all in the center of my heart
    You're the love of my life, the love of my life

Found this online as I have the same thing but ONLY on my thumb; sometimes both thumbs. It grows out but then another one comes along. I have psoriasis of the scalp, so this answered my question somewhat.

Pitting or dents on the nails

Pitting or small dents on the surface of your nails can be a sign of any of the below diseases:

psoriasis, a long-term condition that tends to also cause red, flaky patches of skin (10%-50% of patients with psoriasis have pitted nails)

eczema, a long-term skin condition

reactive arthritis, where the immune system attacks the joints, muscles and other parts of the body following an infection

alopecia areata, patches of hair loss that tend to come and go

Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...