Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending a sympathy card for the anniversary of a death?

Sending a sympathy card for the anniversary of a death?

It's coming up on a 2 year anniversary of a friend's father's death... we are not really on speaking terms at this time, but I know it is a tough time of year for him... would it be inappropriate to send a note or sympathy card of some sorts letting him know something like "I know this is a tough time of year for you.. i'm here is you need to talk" or something of the sort?

Platinum Member
    You say you're not on speaking terms, is there any bad blood between you two? Like maybe, something he might not be past? If so, I'm not certain that would be a good idea right now, given that he's got a lot on his plate at the moment. Of course, that is ultimately up to you. I do think it's a very kind and thoughtful gesture that someone would appreciate deeply.

Platinum Member
    I think it is a nice gesture... are you wanting to get back on speaking terms again? Or does this have nothing to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by shikashika View Post
    I think it is a nice gesture... are you wanting to get back on speaking terms again? Or does this have nothing to do with it
    It's more for the gesture, but partially wanting to open the door to speaking again... We were very close, and I know he doesn't feel he can talk to anyone about this, so I just want to let him know he can.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuteknish View Post
    It's more for the gesture, but partially wanting to open the door to speaking again... We were very close, and I know he doesn't feel he can talk to anyone about this, so I just want to let him know he can.
    Then I think you should do it!

I think it's a nice gesture, but if your intentions are to try to establish contact again, it would seem to be insincere, and he's likely to see right through it.
    "When you start rationalizing and accepting a cheater's behaviour/excuses, you start playing a game of how low can you go." ~ Lavenderdove ~

Quote Originally Posted by HeartGoesOn View Post
    I think it's a nice gesture, but if your intentions are to try to establish contact again, it would seem to be insincere, and he's likely to see right through it.
    yea.. that's what i'm afraid of... i'll have to think it through.

When exactly is the anniversary? If there are still a couple weeks to go, do you think you could try to establish contact again now? And if it goes well, then send a note later about his dad. I would try to keep those points of contact separate.

the anniversary is at the beginning of april.. I suppose I can do that.. I just thought it would be good time together...

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I think it is a nice gesture too.
    Sept 23/2014 Asperger's diagnosis for my son. " in a box not a bottle"

If you judge people you have no time to love them. Mother Teresa

Be not afraid. I go before you always. Come follow me and I will give you rest

As for Me and My House We Will Serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Life only goes around once but never again~~Fred Stobaugh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
Widowed
by Dr. Joyce Brothers
Six years ago I devised an exercise I called "the widow game" to help Trudy, a woman I had known for several years. Trudy complained that ...
On Grief and Dying: Understanding the Soul's Journey
by Diane Stein
This is a book for all who grieve, and for all who die. It is also a book for all who live: women and men, widows and widowers, those who have lost a ...
Surviving the Death of a Sibling: Living Through Grief When an Adult Brother or Sister Dies
by T.J. Wray
By now, I've read scores of grief books, and I know that most grieving people experience some form of depression following the death of a sibling, ...