Wish Ex Happy Valentine's Day?

I've been split up from a long term relationship for about 6 months after my ex left. The split up has been fairly amicable.

She is pretty emotional and I know Valentine's Day is an important day to her and she probably is feeling lonely or down.

Question is...what is the proper etiquette for me at this point? I'm thinking of just sending a simple "Happy Valentine's day" text message but I don't know if that is appropriate.

Nope... don't do it. Unless you are willing to be her BF again and want to start up with her, let it go. You don't want to confuse her or give her false hopes if you don't want her back. Valentine's day is for lovers and little kids giving each other valentines, but it's never appropriate to send such a greeting to an ex.

If you say that the split was fairly amicable I think its ok to wish her Happy Vday. There was love there once between you two and Im sure she would appreciate that you haven't forgotten about her on this day. And as you said, a simple Happy Valentines Day seems appropriate...you dont need to go into details - just sending the message is good. Perhaps I am being a hippocrate because I just ranted about my ex contacting me lol BUT it wasnt a smooth break up..he wished me Happy Vday and on top of that made it known that hes in a relationship now basically. THAT is when you shouldn't contact the ex

ps kudos to you for considering her feelings. Happy Valentines to you

Gotmylifeback- I still have feelings for her, but we both realize it will not work between us for at least the foreseeable future. I kind of feel (in an odd sense) that it might be considered rude or sour grapes to not wish her happy V-Day.

Karma-Thanks for the comments. Happy V-Day to you as well!

Gotmylifeback- I still have feelings for her, but we both realize it will not work between us for at least the foreseeable future. I kind of feel (in an odd sense) that it might be considered rude or sour grapes to not wish her happy V-Day.

I totally agree with this. Wish her today and then go NC.

I was going to send my ex a text saying "I think you sent my flowers to the wrong address. Happy VD!" but decided not to say anything. Ill wish her a happy birthday tomorrow but no happy Vday.

If I were you I would wait to see if she initiates the convo first. If at the end of the day she hasnt said anything go ahead and send the text. But dont be surprised if she doesnt respond. Thats the hard part.

Nope. It just is too emotionally charged. It is one thing for v day to be important but to hear from an ex really sends someone into a tail spin. She could finally say "okay, I will be okay today" and hearing from you will make her backslide or feel bad. V-day is for your sweetie. contacting her would only taunt her.

For me we broke up this past Saturday night. 1 year relationship, pretty serious.

She sent me a text this morning, happy v day

I didn't reply as of yet.

Should i respond?

I talk to her saturday night, yesterday and last night. Just friendly convo text/call

Its killing me, when i went to the store, ppl buying ballons, flowers, gifts... I just had to get my stuff quick and walk out immediately.

The proper etiquette is DO NOT SEND HER A HAPPY ANYTHING! Don't do it. PLEASE don't do it.

You say she is pretty emotional - wasn't so emotional that she cared to take your feelings into consideration when she dumped you, was she?

Ask yourself what your true motive is in wanting to send her Valentine's Day wishes.

When an Ex breaks up with you, you shouldn't reward them by hanging around soothing their ego and assuaging their much-deserved guilt.

I hope you really think this over and preserve your dignity by not communicating with your Ex.

I've been split up from a long term relationship for about 6 months after my ex left. The split up has been fairly amicable.

She is pretty emotional and I know Valentine's Day is an important day to her and she probably is feeling lonely or down.

Question is...what is the proper etiquette for me at this point? I'm thinking of just sending a simple "Happy Valentine's day" text message but I don't know if that is appropriate.

• 11 months later...

I agree with others here, i dont think you should send her anything unless you want to show her that you still care about her and want her back.

My ex gf broke up with me after 5 years 6 weeks ago ( I went LD). I told her that I want her back and she asked for space. I am thinking od sending her a small box of chocolate and brief message for VDay. What do you guys think? Would that be invading the space she asked for while shes considering things?

Thanks

I agree with others here, i dont think you should send her anything unless you want to show her that you still care about her and want her back.

My ex gf broke up with me after 5 years 6 weeks ago ( I went LD). I told her that I want her back and she asked for space. I am thinking od sending her a small box of chocolate and brief message for VDay. What do you guys think? Would that be invading the space she asked for while shes considering things?

Thanks

Yeah, that's definitely invading her space. If she wants space, give it to her. She'll probably not view the gift as a nice gesture but just as pressure you're putting on her. You can do nothing wrong by doing nothing at all!

Archived