Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Commuting to work, how much is too much?

Silver Member

Commuting to work, how much is too much?

How many of you commute to work? How long of a commute do you think is too much to handle? I might have a commute of one hour each way next year in order to go to work and graduate school. Has anyone done that before? My normal commute now is about 15 minutes, the most I've ever done on a regular basis is 25.

Are you driving? I commute 1.5 hours each way but I take public transit and I actually don't mind it at all since I can just sit back and read a book/relax/listen to music. If I was driving I'd probably go nuts with a 1.5 hour commute. Maybe you should try out the commute a few times to see how you feel about it?

Depends. I am used to 1 hr to 1.5 hour commute. geographically my job and schools are not far, but I live in NYC and take the subway/ buses which cn take a while due to traffic/ making local stops. It doesn't bother me because I listen to music on my MP3 player.

Highway driving taking that long? that's different. i don't think i could handle that.

Silver Member
    Yah, it would be me driving the whole way. Neither of you think you could handle it?

My commute just went from 30 minutes to 1 hour when our company moved it's offices. It is definitely no fun. It isn't to the intolerable level quite yet but when the weather is bad the commute is 90-120 minutes one way. THAT is intolerable for me.
    You can make the world a better place - one person at a time.

this is going to be on a regualr basis? well if you like driving then you could do it. but i don't know..

Silver Member
    It would be 5 days a week for about 10 months.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avman View Post
    My commute just went from 30 minutes to 1 hour when our company moved it's offices. It is definitely no fun. It isn't to the intolerable level quite yet but when the weather is bad the commute is 90-120 minutes one way. THAT is intolerable for me.
    Yah, that does sound intolerable. Do you travel on the interstate? My route would be all backroad highways.

Backroad highways might be ok. If it is steady driving and not stop and go it is much easier to handle. My drive used to be 30 minutes along the river, scenic roads, etc. Now it is 60 minutes of stop and go on the interstate. It is really not much fun. I'm right about at the limit of what I think I can put up with now.
    You can make the world a better place - one person at a time.

Silver Member
    Yah, I mean, its a pretty steady route, but its also like 47 miles at speed limits that fluctuate between 35-50mph. How long do you think you'll be able to tolerate your drive for?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Flirting at workplace can indeed help women to get ahead and build their way to success. However, their colleagues will not like it at all, saying ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...