are all lip sores actually cold sores?

About 2 days ago I noticed what looked and felt like a paper cut on the crease of my lips (at the point where they meet). I tend to have dry skin especially with heat on indoors so I thought at first I just yawned too wide and it cracked a bit there. I've been rubbing aloe and lip balm on it hoping it would get better.

48 hours later it now actually looks like a very small blister, about half the size of a pink eraser on the end of a pencil. It's moderately painful, especially when I open my mouth. It's visible (but small). I've been googling lip sores but all that comes up is "cold sore." Are all lip sores really cold sores??

They describe a cold sore as a cluster of blisters when this is only one. I've never had a cold sore before in my life and sadly enough I haven't kissed a guy in 6 months so it seems strange that it would suddenly appear. I know it's not a huge deal but I'd hate to think I have oral herpes.

Any advice? Also what do people usually find is the best way to treat a lip or cold sore without a prescription? Mostly I'm just using aloe gel and lip balm.

Thanks in advance!!

The only way to tell what it is is to have a doctor culture the blister - you need to have this done immediately for the most accurate results. Chances are it's HSV1 which can be dormant in your system and activate at random, so not kissing someone for 6 months doesn't matter. If it's HSV1 (or 2) the doctor will give you an Rx for a viral suppressant (Zovirax or Valtrex or the like). Don't pick at the blister or touch it.

It doesn't sound like it to me - I've had both, and this sounds like what happens if I eat WAY too many corn chips. ha...

As for HSV, don't worry - as few as 4 in 5 and as many as 98% already have it. In otherwords, when you finally do get it, if you don't already have it [and it can hide forever or even not ever show] WELCOME TO THE PARTY!!!

Wow. Thanks for the advice about oral HSV, impetigo, angular cheilitis (never heard of it before), or that it's possibly nothing!! I guess I should think about seeing a doctor tomorrow. Unfortunately my insurance has dramatically raised the co-pay but since you mention the possibilities it'd be nice to know if it's fungal or viral or bacterial (or nothing) before the long weekend.

For a small sore it is surprisingly painful. I'm also happy to hear more thoughts.

It doesn't sound like it to me - I've had both, and this sounds like what happens if I eat WAY too many corn chips. ha...

As for HSV, don't worry - as few as 4 in 5 and as many as 98% already have it. In otherwords, when you finally do get it, if you don't already have it [and it can hide forever or even not ever show] WELCOME TO THE PARTY!!!

LOL, right?? It's too bad there is such a stigma on superficial skin problems. It's not like any of it will kill you or even make you modestly sick.

Wocka - a doctor visit is a good idea, even if it amounts to nothing the peace of mind in knowing is worth it. It could even be an allergic reaction - I've had my skin break out in small vesicles before because I was allergic to something.

If it's just one sore, it's probably not allergies or other conditions and sounds more like a cold sore. Though you have to go to the doctors to find out for sure. A LOT of people have cold sores, so I wouldn't worry about it. Like someone else said 4 out of 5 people have it in their life time.

If it's just one sore, it's probably not allergies or other conditions and sounds more like a cold sore. Though you have to go to the doctors to find out for sure. A LOT of people have cold sores, so I wouldn't worry about it. Like someone else said 4 out of 5 people have it in their life time.

Lifetime? More like, 4 out of 5 adults at this Moment have HSV in the US. And more recent research is showing the number to be closer to 98%...basically, even if you never showed symptoms, you probably already got it, at least one strain.

Lifetime? More like, 4 out of 5 adults at this Moment have HSV in the US. And more recent research is showing the number to be closer to 98%...basically, even if you never showed symptoms, you probably already got it, at least one strain.

That's astonishing. Here I was hoping I could go through life without a cold sore ever!

Well, as good as the doctor advice was, I didn't go today--it would have cost me $30 and weighing that against a small sore just didn't quite seem worth it. My dentist is no longer on my insurance plan and now wants $40 copay next week for a basic cleaning. I searched high and low to find a good dentist, and now this insurance crap. As a student I just need to be careful about out-of-pocket expenses.

If I start getting several blisters or it flares up again though I will go to the doctor, I promise ;-)

Thanks!

Most people don't even know they have it, because they aren't sure what it is or they get very minor symptoms - others Never show symptoms. The really unlucky cases...well, I haven't had any issues since they started giving me regular flu shots. But its a simple medication if there is an outbreak, at least for me.

The real positive is, once everybody realizes they have it or they cannot avoid getting it, the general public will become even more energized towards cures and treatments - aka Funding!!

Herpes is a "nice" STD though, when compared to the full range of HPV - another 50% have already had it, while in all 80% of women will experience it in their lifetime - And that number is probably also higher in actuality due to the limitations in testing for it - there's no way to test for it in men, and the fact that it clears up like more common viruses. But then some don't - they lead to cancers which aren't too happy to mention.

You'll probbaly be fine with this that you have, a couple days and it should be feeling better. If you need a simple antiseptic, mouthwash works too.

They tend to test men for HPV via the anus... which is why most men won't get tested.

This is the first time I've read about or heard about such a test. From what I have read, there are tests available, but the relability of each test varies.

This test you've cited, for example, tests inderectly by identifying abnormal cells caused by the virus - it's ineffective if the virus doesn't show symptoms or if the virus does not affect this area of the body in the particular patient.

Another virus that certianly needs more attention...

i kissed a girl at a club one time, and two weeks later got a lip/cold sore. was scared for my life. went to doctor, and said it is HSV 1. and gave me drug for it. it turns out around 90% of population have it anyway so its not a big deal. it comes and goes on about 6 month intervals or with lack of sleep, added stress. so just take medication for it as soon as you feel itchiness or small pain in your lips. and DO NOT TOUCH IT! it gets worse. but yeah, avoid kissing people you care about, because it does transfer over. and by time, it will become dormant, and you won't get them anymore. not visibly anyway.

you could also get it from sharing utensils at home with family members. so its not a big deal

Source: experience!

Well, at least with HPV they've finally developed a vaccine (Gardasil), though it's only been tested on women under 26 so my insurance won't cover it at my advanced age [sigh]. I think they're now starting to give Gardasil to young men as well. Hopefully that will help.

As common as Herpes is, I still don't want to get it! Wouldn't it be great if they found a vaccine for herpes as well. A whole new generation could be saved from cold sores (not to mention genital blisters ).

Update on my sore: I was stressed last night and ended up picking at it (which I know I shouldn't have!!!) This morning it bled a little when I opened my mouth wide enough to brush my teeth, but instead of a red blister I could see a more characteristic "Y" pattern of skin cracking. I think my lips may have just been too dry. At least I'm hoping that's what it was.

Thanks

• 9 months later...

Best way to treat painful lip sores or cold sores on lips is to first consult with your nearest experienced doctor and take proper medical prescription. Even after that you feel it is not getting better then the best cold sore treatment you can try is popular OTC treatments such as Abreva, Zovirax, etc. Natural cold sore remedies such as aloe vera and tea tree oil can be effective against cold sore virus but they take some time to get the desired results.

Other effective cold sore remedies can be echinacea and natural health supplements containing vitamin C, E and zinc. Lysine supplements and lotions can also be effective against cold sore infection.

Archived