Please help! my dog won't stop scratching!!!!!!

greysfan

I adopted a dog 3 days ago and as soon as I brought him home he started scratching like crazy! we haven't gotten any sleep. he even made his ear bleed.

I took him to the vet and he said he couldnt find anything wrong other than an ear infection. BUT he's scratching his entire body!! the vet says his skin is not dry, he doesnt have any fleas or mites ( no bugs at all) an he's been on the same food (though, he's barely eating or drinking) can anyone help!?!?!?!

Did the vet draw blood? I think that is the way they test for allergies... My dog has a flea allergy, so I know the scratching can be terrible. My vet told me to give my dog plain benadryl for the allergy. Cut the pill in half the first time you give it to him though, to make sure its the right dosage. That should help, at least at night!

The ear infection could make him itch all over - he accidentally scratches and gets his neck or head, etc, when he is going for his ear - then now that other part is hurting and he scratches that. You may need to use a cone if he keeps digging at his ears. I would as a precaution wash his stuff in mild detergent free or dyes, etc. That helped my dog. Also, he was inspected for fleas, right? Allergies could also do it. But also, the air could be dry and he could be stressed by the newness of everything. Feed him a good food that will help his skin also. If he doesn't improve more as the ear infection is healed, and it doesn' seem to get better through no harsh chemicals, see if he has any food allergies also.

He could have mange which causes merciless itching... very hard to detect, and only treatable by medication. The drug Revolution given monthly will eliminate mange. You might talk to your doctor about that. And you need to go back a second time or to a different vet if you don't get satisfaction from the one vet. Vets will frequently misdiagnose mange as allergies or fleas.

Try giving your dog Benadryl to relieve the itching. it is usually one 25 mg pill for each 25 lbs the dog weighs, but ask your vet first. Benadryl will help with mange and allergies, but if it is mange, the dog will need additional treatment.

it's not mange cause he's not missing any hair and doesnt have any hot spots. the benedryl helps but is only masking the problem. I dont know what he could be allergic to? nothing has changed since I rescued him, same food and stuff. and if it's anxiety, how do I get rid of it??

I used to have a dog who was allergic to both corn and fleas; exposure to either would make her itch and scratch, sometimes to the point of blood. Fleas we have controlled successfully with Advantage, but corn is in nearly all dog food that you'll find in a regular store. We got AvoDerm and her skin cleared up, her fur regrew, and she only had standard occasional itches for the rest of her life.

Corn allergy is not uncommon, so maybe you can get your vet to test - or just switch to a non-corn food and see how he does. Keep searching for answers, and good luck with your pup!

Light and laughter,

SongCoyote

Archived