Can't take hormonal birth control

orangecounty

I have a bit of a problem when it comes to birth control, I was on a mini pill, as I can't take estrogen. I was on that pill for about two years and started getting some pretty bad side effects (it basically though my body into a mini menopause) so now I can't take the mini pill either. We use condoms and track when I'm ovulating and avoid having sex 5 days before ovulation and 5 days after. My boyfriend and I would really like to have sex more often but don't feel comfortable using only one condoms during the time I may be ovulating. So what are my other options?

Things you could try:

Depo Provera (not estrogen)

Barrier methods (such as the cervical cap)

Vaginal Ring

The Implanon (not estrogen)

I don't have success with the combined pills (I was on every form of combined pill for 3 years and bled for the ENTIRE TIME), and then I tried the mini-pill, and I fell pregnant, so I nixed that... Then I tried implanon, and although it was fuss-free and I didn't have to think about it, it took 3 months for my body to get used to it, and I bled for the entire 3 months and it was horrible.

I haven't tried a barrier method or depo provera though, maybe try those?

I am in the same exact situation as you are for the same reason. I also can't be on an IUD because of what the doctor told you. I tried going to 3 GYNs for an IUD and they said not until I had kids because of the risk of infertility (which won't b for several years LOL).

Sorry, but you're going to have to tough it out with condoms. There is no other way. That's what the GYNs have all told me- tough ***, you want sex use a condom. I have used Durex for 8 years and never had it break or gotten pregnant.

I have used spermicides and have not had problems with it either. But it costs more than a box of condoms and they're not as effective...

An IUD would be my next choice but my doctor said he wouldn't be able to put one in because I haven't had any kids. I feel like the only other choice is spermicide but I'm not so crazy about putting chemicals into my body, I just don't know! Thanks for the info though

Talk to a different doctor. I've never had kids and had my Paragard IUD put in at age 20. I've had absolutely no problems aside from the normal cramping that came with it and those have significantly subsided after the first year.

An IUD would be my next choice but my doctor said he wouldn't be able to put one in because I haven't had any kids. I feel like the only other choice is spermicide but I'm not so crazy about putting chemicals into my body, I just don't know! Thanks for the info though

I'm not allowed to use hormonal birth control either. My boyfriend and I just use condoms and are always very careful. If we have sex when I am ovulating, then he wears the condom and pulls out. We aren't taking risks.

I am in the same exact situation as you are for the same reason. I also can't be on an IUD because of what the doctor told you. I tried going to 3 GYNs for an IUD and they said not until I had kids because of the risk of infertility (which won't b for several years LOL)..

Risk of infertility?

OP, keep trying different doctors for the IUD. Those with lots of experience inserting IUDs will have no problem inserting one in a woman who has not had children. This is your best bet for effective non hormonal birth control. I do believe IUDs are the most common form of birth control outside of the western world, where hormonal birth control is most common. The people I know who have IUDs say the love them. I need to be on hormones now for other issues, otherwise I would have a copper IUD.

If that wont work for you, I'd look into using a cervical cap at least during ovulation as a condom back up so you don't have to keep abstaining during that time.

I've never been pregnant either and have an IUD inserted. It depends on the doctor, some are willing to insert, some aren't.

Risk of infertility?

OP, keep trying different doctors for the IUD. Those with lots of experience inserting IUDs will have no problem inserting one in a woman who has not had children. This is your best bet for effective non hormonal birth control. I do believe IUDs are the most common form of birth control outside of the western world

I'm sorry, but this is wrong. This article should explain everything:

link removed

Some doctors are also not keen to recommend IUDs to patients who've never had children, in case they are unknowingly infertile and might later sue alleging their infertility is the fault of the doctor and the IUD.

"Certain doctors who do know how to insert and remove an IUD still refuse to recommend it to childless patients because of the device's checkered history.I experienced this with the first two doctors I visited. Though recent scholarship shows that the risk of an IUD creating infertility is almost nonexistent, some doctors prefer to insert them in patients already known to be fertile-so the IUD (and the doctor) can't be blamed for any future infertility."

Gynecologists are afraid of being sued for malpractice if anything is to go wrong. That's why a lot of them refuse to give IUDs to childless patients. It took me three different visits and they all refused because of this.

Archived