How to make twin boy and girl?

SillyDate

I don't think there are any scientific research that prove special diets help though there are many theories I'm sure you can find. You can probably raise the odd with IVF but if you implant say three embryos (or even four with two girls & two boys), you could end up with just one or multiples.

To have a twin boy and girl, it means you need to ovulate two eggs in one month, which really there is no control for... you could get fertility treatments to make that happen, but they are expensive and risky.

btw, my brother has twins and though he loves them, having twins is an incredbily exhausting and expensive undertaking. You have double the expenses at the exact same time, plus you basically don't sleep for the first few years of their lives because they are usually not sleeping or eating or being sick at the same time, so you have a round the clock child care marathon with no respite.

So this falls in the category of be careful what you wish for.

Ask your doctor. I agree that IVF is the only way I can imagine ...but even then I don't think you get to pick the gender..??

You can pick the gender, when they extract the eggs and grow the embryos they pick the ones that survive the cycle. Say out of 25, 11 of the embryos grow healthy and pass PGD testing. Then that 11 is frozen until three or so embryos are chosen to be implanted; this is when they choose which gender to implant into the mother or the surrogate. Chances of twins from IVF they say are 25~30% of the pregnancies. When my wife did the IVF for another couple they implanted two boys and a girl.

Like Lavender said it's very expensive. But if you have twins running in your family then of course you have a better chance

I wonder if that can be somewhat controlled? I so want to have twins with a boy and a girl. Oh, that will be a blessing!!

Any kind of special diet that will help?

There is no way to control that. Even with IVF, which is super expensive, you still only have about a 30% chance. No diet will change your chances either.

There are certain factors that do increase the odds. I know that if you are older you are more likely to have twins naturally. Something about the biological clock ramps up as you get closer to menopause. Not to mention if you are older you are more likely to use fertility drugs and they often increase chances. Then if you are heavier or taller than average or twins run in your family you are more likely. I know for myself I fall into almost all of these factors (except the heavy one) and I have strong feelings I'll have twins. I hope so actually because I'll probably be around 42 or so before I have kids so it would be nice to have two at one time since I may not get pregnant again. I've heard though that boy/girl are the most common forms of twins but not sure how true that is. Apparently it's easier to conceive fraternal twins than identical.

I can't even imagine having one child at my age, let alone two children at the same time! I never understood how people could choose to have children in their forties. I find it unfair to the children....at a young age they will have to deal with aging parents. In their twenties and early thirties while they are trying to set up their life, they will have to deal with aging and possibly ill parents. I find it amazing (not in a good way) that men in their late forties and fifties, and even sixties, father children..to me that is just very selfish and unfair to the child. I just don't think women should be allowed to have fertility drugs in their forties...sometimes in life you don't get everything you want. Just because the technology is there, doesn't mean it is wise to use it.

I can't even imagine having one child at my age, let alone two children at the same time! I never understood how people could choose to have children in their forties. I find it unfair to the children....at a young age they will have to deal with aging parents. In their twenties and early thirties while they are trying to set up their life, they will have to deal with aging and possibly ill parents. I find it amazing (not in a good way) that men in their late forties and fifties, and even sixties, father children..to me that is just very selfish and unfair to the child. I just don't think women should be allowed to have fertility drugs in their forties...sometimes in life you don't get everything you want. Just because the technology is there, doesn't mean it is wise to use it.

But sometimes things don't workout the way we want. A woman of 40 today is different than a woman of 40 years ago. Sure I will be an older mom but probably a better mom than I would have been in my 20's when I was immature. I think a child with two 40ish parents who can support them are better than parents in their 20's (or worse a single mom) having to depend on welfare or too concerned with their careers.

Just because it wouldn't work for you, doesn't mean it wouldn't work for others. I will say though that I've given myself a deadline of 45 to have kids.

I agree with you on that one. My mom had got pregnant(but lost the baby) and she was 48, I thought it was very selfish of her to put herself in that situation(she didn't get IVF though) because when the child was 20, she'd be near 70, and when the child was 30 and starting their lives, she'd be in a nursing home. I know that times have changed and that more women are having children older for financial, and educational reasons, but I still think that it isn't healthy to have a child at that age--not to the child(with the risks involved) or to the mother(with the risks involved). I understand some women are late bloomers and really want their own biological children, and that is why they wait, but I still can't help but wonder if they are thinking about how the children will fare 20 to 30 years later when their parents are sick, and need care.

I used to think that having kids in your twenties is for the best--but now I'm leaning more toward late twenties early-to mid-thirties as the time to have children(optimal and ideal) because at least in those cases there are less risks, more energy, more chance that 20 to 30 years later the child won't have to "nurse" or care for their parents, and it gives the parents the opportunity to live to see their own grandchildren(something which may not happen if you have kids in your forties)--it also allows people to finish their education, get a stable job, work a few years, and get to know themselves. I'm 23 and at one point I had said I wanted to start having kids at 25. In the last two months I've changed my mind(LOL) I'm starting to see the benefits in waiting until your older, and more established. I haven't really seen a benefit in waiting until your forty to have a child knowing all of the risks associated, the financial costs if you have to get an IVF, the chance that you won't have much energy when they are teenagers or tweens, the fact that you may not live to see your grandchildren, and will be on the brink of retirement right when your child is turning 17/18(how can you retire in that situation?)

On the otherhand, I understand that sometimes due to unfortunate circumstances(not finding the one, or meeting anyone before 40) that you choose to overlook those "risks" and have a child anyway. When someone has the urge to be a mom, age won't prevent them, unless it's completely dangerous. Even though I don't really see that option for myself, if it works for others it is fine.

But sometimes things don't workout the way we want. A woman of 40 today is different than a woman of 40 years ago. Sure I will be an older mom but probably a better mom than I would have been in my 20's when I was immature. I think a child with two 40ish parents who can support them are better than parents in their 20's (or worse a single mom) having to depend on welfare or too concerned with their careers.

Just because it wouldn't work for you, doesn't mean it wouldn't work for others. I will say though that I've given myself a deadline of 45 to have kids.

I have seen parents who had their children in their forties and they are no better parents than those in their twenties. Maturity did not make them better parents...in fact, some of them weren't all that mature to begin with even in their forties. Having children was more of an ego thing for them and it showed in the way the children were being raised. Biologically speaking, a woman of forty today is still the same as a woman of years ago. Opportunities may be different but physiologically it is the same.

I completely agree. Also the same holds true for older fathers. Sure there are many spry people in their seventies and eighties...but a lot of them have had serious health issues as well. Sure health issues can happen at any age, but it is pretty much a given that there will be health issues when you hit your sixties and seventies. To have a twenty year old have to take on that responsibility when they are still learning how to fend for themselves and how to deal with other things life throws at them is very unfair. I wonder how many people who decide to have children in their forties would have been prepared in their twenties to deal with an elderly parent and all the worries and things that must be done for an elderly parent who has a health issue.

I have seen parents who had their children in their forties and they are no better parents than those in their twenties. Maturity did not make them better parents...in fact, some of them weren't all that mature to begin with even in their forties. Having children was more of an ego thing for them and it showed in the way the children were being raised. Biologically speaking, a woman of forty today is still the same as a woman of years ago. Opportunities may be different but physiologically it is the same.

Interesting perspective(I noticed your age). I do wonder about the new notion that the forty-something is the new twenty-something, with more energy, more independence, and so on. I mean my mom is 48 but to me she has the energy, independence and "youth" of a 30-something person, but then again I'm 23, I'm not a toddler or a young child. I wonder if she would be able to handle a child as the child grew up, and when the child hit their teens, the same way she was able to, two decades ago when she had all of her children. When she got pregnant at 48,and miscarried, as painful as it was for her, she was relieved. She admitted later on that she knew she wouldn't have had the energy and worried about how the children would be 30 years from now when they were having their own families, and her being sick, ill, etc and causing them to be in sandwhich(sandwhich generation).

I don't know how beneficial it would be for the child and the mother to have children at an older age, versus having children in a "window" where you have more energy, a bit younger, more fertile, etc. Again I understand that it boils down to meeting the one--and in those cases I am sympathetic and feel "to each their own". But I think that if you can do it, trying to have kids before 37 is ideal.

Why are people turning this into a debate on older parents? What I decide to do is my business and no one else's. As long as I can still get pregnant, what business is it of someone else? I wouldn't be having children on welfare or anything like that. In fact most women who do wait do it because they want to be financially secure.

As for the aging parents comment, there's no guarantee having kids young will mean they will be able to take care of anyone. I've known people who lost their parents young and the parents were young parents. I know someone who lost their parents in their early teens and the parents were 38 and 39. Not everyone gets grandkids so that's a not important. I know someone who had 5 kids, all before 30. They died without any grandkids because none of their 5 kids had kids! Just because it works for someone to have kids early, this isn't the case for everyone.

Btw, the greatest increase in new mothers are women 40-44. My doctor said they are seeing new mothers and most of them have healthy pregnancies. The ones she's seen have unhealthy pregnancies were women who were unhealthy of all ages, who were obese, drug addicts, etc.

Honestly, some of these comments are offensive and really aren't pertaining to this thread. I'm not even sure why people are so obsessed with older mothers having babies. If it doesn't pertain to you, then don't get upset.

I completely agree. Also the same holds true for older fathers. Sure there are many spry people in their seventies and eighties...but a lot of them have had serious health issues as well. Sure health issues can happen at any age, but it is pretty much a given that there will be health issues when you hit your sixties and seventies. To have a twenty year old have to take on that responsibility when they are still learning how to fend for themselves and how to deal with other things life throws at them is very unfair. I wonder how many people who decide to have children in their forties would have been prepared in their twenties to deal with an elderly parent and all the worries and things that must be done for an elderly parent who has a health issue.

My bf's sister is in that situation, her mom had her at 40, her dad was 46, and she is now 17. Her parents (my boyfriends) are now 58, and 64. Her dad is in and out of the hospital, always sick, bad memory, etc. She essentially feels as though her teenage years have involved her being raised by grandparents(her words not mine). She loves her dad regardless(and he spoils her) but it seemed like once he turned 60 he started to notice health issues that weren't there before. I know it's stressful for my boyfriend(who is 25) and he constantly worries about his dad passing away or having to go to a nursing home within the next 5-10 years. That isn't something that a young person(under 25) should have to deal with, unless it's something that was completely unpreventable(disease, death, etc that happen no matter the age). Not to mention the fact that his sister worries that by the time she has kids, her parents won't be around to see them.

Like I said before, I understand the urge to have children, and I think that for most women, they will try even at an age that may not seem healthy. And I am sympathetic and I do hope it works out for the best, for their family, and for their child. I admire the older moms who make the decision, knowing the risks, because they want to be moms. I admire the older moms who waited to have kids because they wanted to be in the ideal situations. Isn't wrong or right, just depends. That being said, ideally I wouldn't have a child past 37 for the reasons above.

Heh, it is off topic. I was responding to CAD's post actually. I do believe that there has been an increase of mothers 40-44, but that is based on where it was decades ago when having kids between 40-44 was pretty rare. SO of course there is an increase--before rarely were women having kids as that age, now more are(but still not a significant amount).

Even with the increase, most women don't have children at that age(for many reasons), those who do--well that is their choice, nothing wrong with it, just not something I would want to do.

And I agree, a parent can die or get sick at any age. My point is that I would not purposely put myself in a situation where there was a higher chance that those things would occur and that they would impact the child. A person dying or getting sick can be out of their control, but as you age, it's common knowledge that those things will happen, also common knowledge that as you age your energy is not as much, memory isn't as good, and so on. All of these are risks but if a person is willing to overlook them and have a child, then I think that ultimately they're doing what is right for them. Obviously if we base all of our decisions on risks, then many of us would never walk out the house.

Everyone is allowed to their opinion. I am of the age where I have seen men and women who have had their chance at marriage and families and chose to play the field instead, then grabbed someone in order to make babies because they figured they had had their fun time and now time was running out to create someone in their own image. It was all about self-indulgence and "I want, I want, I want". It really had nothing to do with not meeting the right one at an earlier age. Then, of course there are those who dumped their partner in in their forties in order to go off with someone else and start a new family with someone else. It is all about self-indulgence than about doing what is best for a child. Just like you feel very strongly about certain things which I have seen you post on here, forty-something people making babies is something I feel very strongly against.

But if it doesn't pertain to you, why do you care? The things I feel strongly about pertain to ME. So I guess you are fine with women having babies they can't afford more than a 40something having a child? That does bother me because it affects me directly with my pocketbook. I didn't chose to wait this long, I just didn't want kids until a few years ago and really never met the right person to change my mind. Besides, I am perfectly fine adopting if I can't have kids naturally (and no I will not likely try IVF).

Like I said having older parents doesn't mean the child is definitely going to have to deal with ill parents earlier. I know many who were forced to be caregivers in their teens to parents who were younger parents. I know someone who was born when his parents were in their 40's, he's 30 his parents are mid 70's and they are still healthy.

I don't only care about the things that stricly pertain to me..I also care about things that impact others in a negative way. As someone with an INFJ personality type I consider those who may not necessarily have a voice. No, I am not fine with women going out and having babies with random men or with the partner of the month and then end up on welfare when the guy leaves them. However, I am okay with a married couple in their twenties who may not be on easy street but will do what it takes to make sure they have enough for the baby. Yes, some childen will have younger parents who get ill..but in general, people do not start getting more serious, debilitating or life-threatening illnesses until they are in their fifties and beyond.

OP, you can't pick if you want twins or the sex. There are old wives tales that say you can do certain things to increase your chances of having a boy or girl but that's all they are... wives tales.

As for twins... someone can correct me but I do believe in part it can be a genetic thing. Like in my family twins run in the family, it skips a generation. My great-great grandmother had 3 sets of twins, my great grandmother didn't, my grandmother had 2 sets, and my father didn't have any. so it falls to me. Wonderful.

I wouldn't mind twins (we do want 4 kids) but not as my first pregnancy. Having twins the second time around would def. take care of us having to have kids into our late 30's, lol

Archived