Is Constant Attention Seeking Normal For Only Children?

RougeKali823

My fiance's son Chase spends a lot of time seeking our attention and is very hyperactive and I am wondering if this has anything to do with the absence of siblings.

I know all children can be this way but he goes out of his way to get our attention in ways I have never witnessed other children do it. (i.e. I could be hugging his dad and he'll interrupt with a random statement or do something he knows he'll get scolded for, just so we will pay him some attention.)

Most of the friends I have who are their parents' only child behave in the same way. Aside from making him play with others I am at a loss and getting frustrated because I am new to this.

Might I ask for a few more details?

--How old is he?

--How long has his father and mother been apart?

--Does his dad have custody?

--If the mother has custody--when his father has visitation--are you there all the time, most of the time, of do you only see him briefly?

--Has he been diagnosed as hyperactive? Or are you using that term because hi behavior is disruptive?

*the reason I ask that last Q. is--my son is 17 & was diagnosed 12 years ago--he is also an only child--so, maybe I can offer some opinion based on my own experience--if it helps?

This is a tricky-- to pinpoint why he's doing this?

He is certainly old enough to be developing empathy (knowing how others feel)....I also raised my son alone and he, at that age, was not comfortable around ppl I dated.....boys often bond more with their mothers & girls with their dads--the absense of his mom, I'm sure, must be difficult & so would seeing a few women come and go--becoming attached and then losing them.....

This is not to fault his dad in any way--life goes on and being alone forever isn't a healthy option either....just saying he may take some time to trust that you neither are going anywhere nor are you there to take away the 1 stable person he has had throughout life?

I know how trying kids can be But this is a battle you can only win by giving him love, time, and more love IMO...

Might I add? You may want to suggest a conference with his teacher on his pier developement--in my situation it was a principal who noticed my son's dissorder as it was hard (him not being hyperactive) to detect--and though I am sensative to children being over diagnosed with ADHD--if there is the need for an I.E.P. and school services, etc--then in most cases the school will pay for testing and services are usually very beneficial--not only educationally--but for social skills (like speaking out of turn as well!

I hope this helps hun?

Archived