would you date a person who has the same name as...

ut804

would you date a person who has the same name as your cousin? your mother or father? your sister or brother?

Sometimes I meet guys with the same name as one of my cousins and I think it's weird if I would date someone with the same name.

lol has anyone done this? Weird or not a big deal?

I won't date someone with the same name as my brother. Have a friend who tried to become a boyfriend way back who has my brothers name and that's the very reason I couldn't date him, it was just creepy. As for a cousin I would date someone with a cousins name but I haven't run into it so I can't be positive because two of my cousins were like brothers. They came on family vacations with us, one lived with us for a while, etc. Those names I'd avoid dating but again I haven't run into guys with their names.

it reminds me of a time i was listening to the radio and the DJ asked this same question. a girl called in and she said she dumped her boyfriend because he wanted her to say his name when they were having sex and his name was the same as her father's! lol so yeah..

Seriously I couldn't date the guy because it was my brother's name. Not joking.

Me, too. But, that's because I don't like him. lol

I lived with someone for many years, and he had the same name as my Dad. So, when someone called the name, it was qualified as "little" or "big" before their name. lol

Never bothered me in the least.

This topic sounds like the basis of a Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm episode.

It's kinda sad if people dismiss someone over their name, it's not like they're responsible for it, plus you could be missing out on someone who's otherwise perfect for you. A girl at work not only has a boyfriend who's name is the same as her brothers, but they all live in the same house, she just has nicknames for both of them and it doesn't seem to bother her. It's only an issue if you make a big deal out of it, people aren't going to look at you strange, it's not nearly as important as who the person is.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but somewhat amusing nonetheless...in addition to now seeing someone with the same name as my brother, my boss of nearly three years ALSO has the same name as my brother. Before I met this new guy I already had to specify "such-and-such my boss" or "such-and-such my brother" when talking about them to other people. In addition, I had several close calls with nearly texting my boss things meant for my brother...once I caught myself nearly sending a text to my boss late on a Saturday night that said "hey stopping by in a minute to pick up the stuff" and realized what confusion that would lead to for my boss (not to mention the boss' wife.)

Imagine how I now dread sending texts to my brother OR my boss meant for the guy I'm seeing.

But I digress.

If someone thinks of that as a dealbreaker then I don't think that person is entitled to complain ever about being single.

Very true. Although it was a little weird getting up close and personal with someone who I had to call by the same name that had, up to that point, only been allocated to my brother, it certainly wasn't a dealbreaker for me.

As for cousins etc I doubt it would even cross my mind as they are all relatively common names that I have heard many, many times over the years.

Archived