How to fight Osteoporosis??

julian008

As we grow old our bone density is reduced and the structure changed, both of which increase our susceptibility to fracture. The normal balance of the bone is altered which makes the bones become progressively porous, brittle, and fragile. As a result the bones fracture easily -- osteoporosis.

This really scares me a lot, cause having this kind of condition is not easy.

I don't know the cause and the preventive measures on it.

My elderly grandmother has osteoporosis. I spent a couple years in high school going over to her place EVERY NIGHT to give her these big nasty shots of hormone to help. but you know...she never had enough calcium when she was young. Hated milk, didn't eat much diary. It's not a wonder why it happened. Poor thing.

You can definitely prevent it!!

It's not just calcium, though. Calcium is the basis of the bone matrix, but it's actually magnesium, vitamin K2, vitamin D3, and trace minerals like boron and silicon that assist with deposition and assimilation of calcium into the bone. They actually believe that vitamin D, which is increasingly found to be inadequate in people (due to less sunlight exposure in our modern lifestyle) and magnesium may be even more critical in the process, transporting calcium to bone, than the calcium itself. You should be taking in 800-1000 IUs of vitamin D per day. This is more than the previously recommended doses, but they are finding prevalent deficiencies in this vitamin are linked to bone loss. I'm under the supervision of a doctor for osteopenia, and these dosages are considered very safe.

You should be looking for a comprehensive bone formula including these different minerals and supplemental vitamins, with a total daily dose (spread out) of 1500 mg. of calcium, pre-menopausally. Ratio of calcium should be about 2:1.

Look for brands that have forms of calcium with "-ate" at the end, like "calcium citrate" and "calcium malate", etc., as this denotes organic forms of the mineral, which are better absorbed by the body than the inorganic calcium carbonate (the most cheap and common form, though most likely to cause constipation and pass through without being well-absorbed.)

Also, stress and diet can make a difference. Besides eating mineral-rich foods, it's important to not overdo protein intake and stress also contributes to risk factor. Both these last things cause the body to want to buffer the blood (so it doesn't become overly acidic), and to do this, it steals calcium from the bones.

Also, it's vital to do weight-bearing exercise to increase and maintain bone mass. Best exercises are any that impact the bone, but you don't have to do high impact activities like running or jogging, as those are hard on the joints over time. Walking briskly for 45 minutes at least 4 days a week, weight lifting, resistance bands (which you can find online), all put tension on the bones, and are good.

I myself am going to be looking into a vest they make with weights you can insert to increase the weight-bearing during walking.

All of these measures become increasingly vital as you age (though starting in your 20's is important), because one major cause of osteoporosis is low estrogen levels, which occurs after menopause. So by that time, you should have your bones equipped to deal with the hormone drop.

Archived