Anyone else hate working full time?

Evastar

Not that I'm lazy, I want to work. but only part-time. does anyone else feel this way?? my reasons are this. I have no time to spend seeing friends, family or with my puppy wh is really attached. no time to run errands or clean the house. and no sleeping in I love sleep. I may be getting this good job next week thats full time and I don't know if I want it......anyone else feel this way??

I dunno.

I look at it this way. At least with full time work I would be bringing in a nice "chunk o' change" vs part time. Also, usually full-time workers are eligible for bennies (health, dental, etc).

I wish I had a job right now and full time work sounds great.

But I do understand your POV too. Full time work can really run your life and leave you with very little free time,

There are a few people in the world that truly enjoy and feel passionate about the work they do. Those people are to be envied. The rest of us show up so we can pay the bills. I have a great job and for the most part love it, other than the occasional bad day at the office. Would I rather be independently wealthy so that I could do what I REALLY want to do all day. Errr....that would be a resounding YES!

Why do you think the lotto is so popular?

Where is my free money from the sky dammit?

Honestly, right now it's a yes, but that's because the jobs I've had to take after graduation are not related to the industry I want to get into so some extra time will allow me to build my portfolio or volunteer. If I could find a fulltime job in the sector I want then I would happily sleep on the office floor and be first at my desk every day!

But I am extremely lucky that I can take the part time option and have the financial foundation to support it, otherwise I would have to work fulltime and not bat an eyelid. I presume you're in the same position if you have housekeeping and a pet to look after, which are responsibilities that need to be incorporated into your budget.

As someone said, very few people enjoy the jobs they do. They do it because they have to do it. Few people can get away with working part time and afford the necessities in life, such as rent/food/daily expendatures. Who wouldn't want to just do whatever they want to do and not have to work, we do it because we have to.

I understand how you feel totally. Even though i love bringing home my full-time salary, i cant believe out of 24 hrs in a day i spend 8 hours at work and 8 hours sleeping. I thought the days of slavery were over. Im not lazy either, far from it actually, But my fiance and I were just talking about how we need to find a "get rich quick" scheme because this dog-eat-dog rat race we are living is just too exhausting. I live in New York and all its about here is getting the top degree so you can get the top job to make the most money to get the fanciest car and biggest house. Dont get me wrong...i want all of these things but i bet the road to it is taking years off of my life. I guess we can look forward to the day we retire except...oh yeah...we'll be too old and tired to do half of the things we wanted to. Sorry for venting but just letting you know i feel your sentiments exactly.

who thought up the 5 day work week? STUPID person! it should be 4 at most with 3 days off. it's sad when u spend more time with co-workers than loved ones

Hey, if you don't want to work full-time no one's forcing you. The biggest reason why we have such schedules available is because there's a demand for them; rightly or wrongly, a lot of people believe working that many hours is a good use of their time. Likewise, people who are willing to pay for others to work desire more productivity, hence more hours. No one "thought up" the work weeks as they are.

The good news though is that as an economy improves, the costs of living goes down and so people tend to demand less hours to work in order to enjoy their luxuries. Unfortunately, that's not what our economy was for the past decades; something is seriously wrong when you find families where both parents work in order to make ends meet. Not only is unemployment high, but the few that are employed will be working longer and harder than ever.

I used to hate my full-time job and wished I could earn that kind of money working part-time, because I do like to have something to do outside of the home stuff. Alas I'll be back in the full-time rat race soon enough, currently I'm a student and although morning classes suck I have to get up at 5:30 a.m. to make my 8:30 a.m. class because of the commute. Aside from the homework and tests school has a better schedule, more liveable IMO. I have classes 4 days a week, really wish the work week was only 4 days a week. But think of the people not working in the rat race stuck working the off peak hours so we can do thinks like run errands on Saturday or go for a nice evening meal at a restaurant. Trust me it could be worse, take the job and enjoy your paycheck.

I guess I'm the weird one here. My entire life, I always had a job I was passionate about. Right now I have two. I work about 50 + hours per week and go to school, I'm finishing up my Master's. I guess I like to be busy and productive, I always have. I love to sleep in, but I work from 10:00 -8:00, so I do get to do that. When you find your passion, you will love being at work AND going home. I live in L.A. so even on my days off, Sundays, I am usually out doing something. I can sleep or vegetate after I'm dead.

Then you have a few choices. You can:

1) Start looking for a higher paying job. (highly risky in a poor economy)

2) Go back to school at night so you can make more money and potentially find something you might like to do more.

3) Work a second job for the time being on weekends while keeping your eyes open for new opportunities.

You're not alone as there are .... billions? of people that need to do the same exact thing. You'd be suprised how many people are going back to college since this economy went down the tubes, the demand on education is greater than it ever was before. Those jobs that allow you to work 40 hours a week and make enough for as you say, "give disposable income" are highly sought after and the competition for such jobs is very high, simply because there's not enough of them.

Then you have a few choices. You can:

1) Start looking for a higher paying job. (highly risky in a poor economy)

2) Go back to school at night so you can make more money and potentially find something you might like to do more.

3) Work a second job for the time being on weekends while keeping your eyes open for new opportunities.

Well, there is another option that hasn't been mentioned....

4) Change your lifestyle and make choices that will not require as much income to sustain you as your current lifestyle and choices require.

"How much you make" is only one part of the equation, and the one people seem to want to focus on the most. The other part (and a MAJOR part, IMO) is "how well do I manage what I make."

April 2008, I was downsized from a good paying full time job. For the next 2 years I worked part time for $10/hour in an office and started my own business.

In those 2 years (where I was making somewhere between 25-50% LESS than I did when I worked full time) I managed to reduce my debt MORE than I had the last 2 years I was working full time for decent money.

Put a different way - From April 2008-April 2010 I made LESS money than I did from April 2006-April 2008, and I paid off MORE of my debt on LESS income.

What changed was the way I was managing the money I did make and making better choices.

I did what I had to do not by choice, but because it was the least objectionable of the options I had. It taught me a lot, and now (with a full time job plus a growing business of my own) I still choose to live simply and frugally and manage what I earn much better than I did prior to 2008.

How badly do you not want to work full time? Badly enough to make adjustments to your lifestyle and money management habits to make it happen?

who thought up the 5 day work week? STUPID person! it should be 4 at most with 3 days off. it's sad when u spend more time with co-workers than loved ones

You should do some research into the working hours during the industrial revolution. Workers had no rights then at all. They were expected to work 16 hours a day, 7 days per week, with no vacations. If they didn't show up to work, the company would simply replace them and they'd lose their job. A 5 day work week is nothing compared to what you would have worked prior to the 1940s.

It is a gross misconception that people who have little money are living above their means. Sure, some people do, but there are plenty of people making meager salaries who certainly are not living above their means. My rent is less than $400 a month and I drive a modest car. I clip coupons for groceries and can't remember the last time I bought clothes. But it's very hard to get by on what I make - I imagine there are many other people in the same boat.

So it is not always of an issue of "just manage your money better". A certain salary only goes so far, even for the most frugal person

It is a gross misconception that people who have little money are living above their means. Sure, some people do, but there are plenty of people making meager salaries who certainly are not living above their means. My rent is less than $400 a month and I drive a modest car. I clip coupons for groceries and can't remember the last time I bought clothes. But it's very hard to get by on what I make - I imagine there are many other people in the same boat.

So it is not always of an issue of "just manage your money better". A certain salary only goes so far, even for the most frugal person

Are you living alone or with roommate(s)?

Could you live somewhere where you could use public transport?

Coupons are generally only offered on name brands, and unless they're exceptional or the the item is on sale, the store or generic brand is often still cheaper.

Without knowing the details of your life, these are just 3 areas where you could make different choices to lower your cost of living. Now, you may not want to choose those options, and/or they may not be easy to implement but the fact is they ARE there, and if you chose to, you could make them happen.

I think you may have misunderstood the intent of my post, which was to point out that there are other factors beyond "how much money one makes." Just about everytime I've talked to people who say they're not making enough, they mostly (if not completely) want to focus on how to make more money. They rarely (if ever) want to take a hard, objective look at how they're managing what they make and come up with ways they could do better. It's not a fun thing to do. It can be very painful (I still cringe when I think about how much I used to spend on restaurant food on a monthly basis pre-downsizing) and it can be a wake-up call regarding long-ingrained habits one may have to change. No one likes change....especially change that can feel like you're depriving yourself or putting yourself in a position where you have less.

But the thing is if one doesn't do those kind of evaluations from time to time, more money isn't going to be a long-term solution. Soon enough, the new "more/better" income level will become "not enough" as a person becomes used to making it, and the "I need to make more" complaints will start over again.

For someone who does not wish to work full-time, lifestyle choices and money management is an area they need to take a long, hard, brutally honest look at if they want to make their goal of not being a full-time wage slave happen. It is also an area they have more control over than, say, what kind of pay an employer offers.

I hate working full-time, too. My ideal hours would be around 25 - 30 hours a week instead of 40. I feel this way even when I am working someplace I like or at least tolerate. I don't feel it's because of laziness, either. I would spend that free-time pursuing other productive activities, not just vegging in front of the tv. I've been trying to come up with jobs and careers I can do by choice either part-time or full-time, and still get a decent salary if only doing it part-time, hehehe (that is, after building up experience after a few years).

You should do some research into the working hours during the industrial revolution. Workers had no rights then at all. They were expected to work 16 hours a day, 7 days per week, with no vacations. If they didn't show up to work, the company would simply replace them and they'd lose their job. A 5 day work week is nothing compared to what you would have worked prior to the 1940s.

Read your History. People back then CHOSE to work in these factories largely because the payoff was greater than the alternative: working on farmland for very meager yields. The specialization of labor, combined with steam-technology, greatly enhanced the output of goods. Additionally, the Civil War almost completely wrecked the Southern economies; hence the major post-war migrations toward the North in the latter part of the Industrial Revolution. In fact, if it wasn't for the Industrial Revolution our workweek would be a LOT higher than it is today in order for you and I to have the luxuries we have now.

Funny. The North had factories yet was largely devoid of slavery, yet you make it seem as if slavery was just as real there as it was in the South. You couldn't be farther from the truth.

Archived