Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Cheap places to live in warm areas near the beach?

lostnscared

I live in Chicago--it's sort of expensive to live here, it's cold, and it's extremely fast paced. I'd like to move out of Chicago by 2012 and I'm going to start a "moving" savings account so that I can make it happen. In the meantime I'm trying to explore where I want to go. I realize that I like warm sunny "laid back" areas, I love beaches, I love places that aren't as fast paced or as expensive as Chicago. Things that I do enjoy about Chicago: diversity, much to do, employment opportunities.

Now I don't know if I'm being extremely optimistic or not, but is there any city in the USA that is: laid back, and slower paced, warm throughout the year, nice beaches, diverse, plenty to do, inexpensive to live(in comparision to Chicago) and a good amount of employment opportunities?

• 7 months later...

I've lived in Fort Myers my whole life and ironically want to get out to somewhere thats colder and more fast paced. Lots of older people move down here from up north. House prices are cheap now compared to before the housing market slump. Problem is lack of diversity and things to do here. Sarasota is probably slightly better in terms of things to do considering you have St. Pete and Tampa at your disposal without having to live in them, and Orlando is just over an hour away. What sorts of things do you like to do though? And what sort of employment are you looking for?

Mexico. Lots of young American/Canadian families live in beach towns in Mexico. I'm not sure how they make a living but if you can find work online in your field, that would be pretty cheap and pretty awesome I think.

Archived