Platinum Member

Cheap places to live in warm areas near the beach?

I live in Chicago--it's sort of expensive to live here, it's cold, and it's extremely fast paced. I'd like to move out of Chicago by 2012 and I'm going to start a "moving" savings account so that I can make it happen. In the meantime I'm trying to explore where I want to go. I realize that I like warm sunny "laid back" areas, I love beaches, I love places that aren't as fast paced or as expensive as Chicago. Things that I do enjoy about Chicago: diversity, much to do, employment opportunities.

Now I don't know if I'm being extremely optimistic or not, but is there any city in the USA that is: laid back, and slower paced, warm throughout the year, nice beaches, diverse, plenty to do, inexpensive to live(in comparision to Chicago) and a good amount of employment opportunities?

St. Augustine Florida

Will you take me with?

Ft Myers, Florida (west coast). Far less expensive than other beach cities in Fla, and VERY laid back.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose View Post
    Ft Myers, Florida (west coast). Far less expensive than other beach cities in Fla, and VERY laid back.
    I'm actually thinking of moving to Fort Myers! VERY nice place My grandma doesnt live to far, Naples, but thats a little pricer. I love florida!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you can really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot do. -- Eleanor Roosevelt Kirkhart

I've lived in Fort Myers my whole life and ironically want to get out to somewhere thats colder and more fast paced. Lots of older people move down here from up north. House prices are cheap now compared to before the housing market slump. Problem is lack of diversity and things to do here. Sarasota is probably slightly better in terms of things to do considering you have St. Pete and Tampa at your disposal without having to live in them, and Orlando is just over an hour away. What sorts of things do you like to do though? And what sort of employment are you looking for?
    How could there be any question of acquiring or possessing, when the one thing needful for a man is to become - to be at last, and to die in the fullness of his being.
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

come live in cali and hang with me!

No tim tams in cali... :P
    Last day on ena 24th July 2011. If Im back, there will be good reason for it :) all the best ena and thank you Kx

actually we do have them now...they just aren't as good :P

Platinum Member
    Mexico. Lots of young American/Canadian families live in beach towns in Mexico. I'm not sure how they make a living but if you can find work online in your field, that would be pretty cheap and pretty awesome I think.

Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
One of the biggest causes of stress and unhappiness in life are failed relationships. Making a relationship work is one of the most important life ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It has been universally acknowledged that having a long distance relationship is not such a good idea, especially if there is no known end-date to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Some people say that when we deeply love or care about someone we automatically open the door to betrayal. I am not sure whether such statement holds ...