Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    29
    Gender
    Female

    Men, emotions and sex.

    Hey so how true is it that a man can have sex with no emotion. At what stage does a guy allow emotions to become involved in sex?

    I dated a guy recently who said that when he gets sexually involved that things can get weird, alluding to emotions becoming involved. And yeah, to some point that did happen, but he was also dealing with a relatively recent breakup with another girl when we got involved. We didn't have sex right away, but after we did I felt he was more stressed out.

    Do guys seem to feel love or scared about the prospect of love after they get involved with women? What predisposes them to become emotionally involved with a woman they have sex with?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20
    Gender
    Male
    First you have to remember what Billy Crystal said:
    "For women to want sex, they have to be in the mood. For men to want sex, they have to be in the room."
    Remember nature is mean and cruel. Nature designed intercourse to be VERY pleasing for men and somewhat pleasing for women. The idea is simple, men are successful 100 per cent of the time and it happens very quickly so we want to come back for more. Women are usually NOT successful and therefore are left LONGING for more. As a result both parties want more. Problem, we can't just get it any time we want.
    This is where EMOTIONS enter the picture.
    You women are emotional creatures and attach love and affection to the act. Men can seperate the two because we get overtaken by the desire for the next hit. Oh yes miss, it is a drug and so very addictive.
    Now, if women could always do the same as men, then there would be no problem. Oh wait, SOME women can and some women can not.
    This leads to the problem of male emotional commitment. If we are not sure what YOU are going to do, then we are not sure what the act itself will mean. If we are not sure how we feel about you, but know how we feel inside biologically, then we have to weigh the two feelings together. Point is, unless you are painfully clear about what the act itself means, then there is going to be confusion from the first moment.
    Some men, attach meaning right away. I am one of those.
    Some men, attach meaning after a few months and commit to a long-term relationship.
    Some men, never attach meaning to it but still want a long-term relationship.
    Some men just never attach meaning to it and are quite happy messing you women up for their entire lives.
    The best thing you can do is get off the internet, make him some coffee and just ask him. You don't pressure him, but ask quite honestly "When we have sex, are you doing it because you love me, you want to love me but are not in love with me now, or because you want me?" It is possible for me to commit the act without being in love but being excited about the prospect of being in love. Yes, believe it or not, we want to be in love too. We want to know that we are your whole world. There is nothing greater than that and if we experience it once then we are hooked.
    You have to ask him "Why does our love-making make you feel weird? Do you think maybe it means I am further ahead in commitment than you?"
    Just talk to him, honestly, openly like an adult.
    Are you in love with him?
    Is that why you started to have sex with him?
    I have two friends who are both looking for Mr. Right. They are VERY picky about him (hence the reason I am not dating either), but in the meantime, one has a couple of "regulars" who satisfy her physical needs weekly. The other also admits to picking up guys for the sole purpose of satisfying her needs.
    What does that do to us?
    Well they are both "good church girls" and that means that we men who find out about this situation are very confused. Now, we don't know what to think when we meet women and things turn physical. As a side, they both talk openly about their physical lives with me and I have asked them to stop because they have no idea the hell they are putting me through, knowing I want them, they don't want me, and they are bragging to me about what other men are getting and I will never get; torture.
    I do have to give them credit for one thing that you need to do. They talk to their partners and are clear about what each partner really is to them.
    You need to do that with this guy. You need to tell him what he is to YOU so he can settle his mind about what you are to him.
    Not talking is the greatest way to breed confusion.
    Just talk to him; for both of your sakes.
    Take care, good luck and God bless you both.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    36,279
    I don't think it's productive to talk generally about gender distinctions when it comes to emotions and sex. It depends on the individual and the relationship between the two people. For all you know, he was more stressed out because he was afraid of the pregnancy risk, for example.

  4. #4
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Age
    36
    Posts
    578
    Gender
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by pyropinup View Post
    Hey so how true is it that a man can have sex with no emotion. At what stage does a guy allow emotions to become involved in sex?

    I dated a guy recently who said that when he gets sexually involved that things can get weird, alluding to emotions becoming involved. And yeah, to some point that did happen, but he was also dealing with a relatively recent breakup with another girl when we got involved. We didn't have sex right away, but after we did I felt he was more stressed out.

    Do guys seem to feel love or scared about the prospect of love after they get involved with women? What predisposes them to become emotionally involved with a woman they have sex with?
    In a nut shell: “emotional availability”.

    Trouble is there are many reason why a man/person might not be emotionally available.

    My understanding is that when a man has sex with a women hormones are released that make him feel emotionally attached to that one woman. I believe from a biological point of view men are not designed to “spread their seed” (with different women).

    However there are many reasons why a man might unconsciously try to block emotional involvement even when there is a sexual relationship.
    Women can do the same thing. I spent time with a female friend a few months ago and she had “conditioned” herself to be able to have sex with guys without getting emotionally involved.

  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    541
    my callous remark is a man will open up when he knows a woman won't eventually jerk him around... so never? no no that's not fair... not every guy has been through that so that's not a great answer. Honestly I don't have a good answer for that because every time I've opened up emotionally women have eventually been put off every time so for me it's never.. not now anyways.
    "May your life be a reflection of what you believe, be the change you want the world to be." - Ghandi

    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin a perfectly good present by worrying about the future."

    "Don't judge me by what I've done. Judge me by what I do continually."

  6. #6
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Age
    36
    Posts
    578
    Gender
    Male
    There is a certain flavour in society that says men are more “manly” if they don’t get emotional. Men are largely to blame for this stereotype as many support it to this day. However from a biological point of view men are emotional creatures. Just as women are. There may well be a biological difference between men and women in this are but if it wasn’t for social conditioning I believe that difference would be very small.

    Many men suppress emotion because that’s what they think is “normal”.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    On my way over the rainbow.
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,238
    Gender
    Female
    I find it pretty easy to detach myself at times.

    sex doesn't = love
    love doesn't = sex

    However I would never do casual sex since I believe that sex should only be part of a committed relationship where you really care about the other person.

    It just feels so much better when there's that tenderness.
    But I think I could do sex without emotions too.


    Depends on the person I guess?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    29
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by What'sthepoint View Post
    You women are emotional creatures and attach love and affection to the act. Men can seperate the two because we get overtaken by the desire for the next hit. Oh yes miss, it is a drug and so very addictive.
    Now, if women could always do the same as men, then there would be no problem. Oh wait, SOME women can and some women can not.
    This leads to the problem of male emotional commitment. If we are not sure what YOU are going to do, then we are not sure what the act itself will mean. If we are not sure how we feel about you, but know how we feel inside biologically, then we have to weigh the two feelings together. Point is, unless you are painfully clear about what the act itself means, then there is going to be confusion from the first moment.
    Some men, attach meaning right away. I am one of those.
    Some men, attach meaning after a few months and commit to a long-term relationship.
    Some men, never attach meaning to it but still want a long-term relationship.
    Some men just never attach meaning to it and are quite happy messing you women up for their entire lives.
    The best thing you can do is get off the internet, make him some coffee and just ask him. You don't pressure him, but ask quite honestly "When we have sex, are you doing it because you love me, you want to love me but are not in love with me now, or because you want me?" It is possible for me to commit the act without being in love but being excited about the prospect of being in love. Yes, believe it or not, we want to be in love too. We want to know that we are your whole world. There is nothing greater than that and if we experience it once then we are hooked.
    You have to ask him "Why does our love-making make you feel weird? Do you think maybe it means I am further ahead in commitment than you?"
    Just talk to him, honestly, openly like an adult.
    Are you in love with him?
    Is that why you started to have sex with him?

    I do have to give them credit for one thing that you need to do. They talk to their partners and are clear about what each partner really is to them.
    You need to do that with this guy. You need to tell him what he is to YOU so he can settle his mind about what you are to him.
    Not talking is the greatest way to breed confusion.
    Just talk to him; for both of your sakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batya33 View Post
    I don't think it's productive to talk generally about gender distinctions when it comes to emotions and sex. It depends on the individual and the relationship between the two people. For all you know, he was more stressed out because he was afraid of the pregnancy risk, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmerJammer View Post
    my callous remark is a man will open up when he knows a woman won't eventually jerk him around... so never? no no that's not fair... not every guy has been through that so that's not a great answer. Honestly I don't have a good answer for that because every time I've opened up emotionally women have eventually been put off every time so for me it's never.. not now anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Archer View Post
    Many men suppress emotion because that’s what they think is “normal”.
    These have brought up some interesting thinking points - I think that before we started having sex, but knew we were attracted to each other (making out, feeling each other up) that we both knew that getting sexual can make things more complicated. I was really surprised that he brought this up first and then I replied that it can for me too. Hence my hesitation to have sex the first time we almost did it. A couple of weeks later, I was ready to do it and he was too.. We didn't say though that we were thinking this was moving more towards a committed relationship...so I suppose in the end the sex moved our emotions toward "feeling more committed" before either of us were ready.

    When we finally had sex, we had it four times that week (twice in less than 24 hours like at night and then morning after - I really like sex and initiated it and tried for more, but after each time he was not too cuddly or energetic to rally the troops)... THAT morning after, he mentioned he was stressed a bit about there being no Pill and that it made him nervous to have sex with just a condom.. he also said he wasn't interested in having kids (loud kids at a restaurant prompted this remark). This was also when he questioned the amount of freedom he's had since his breakup with his ex.. he thought he should date other people. I asked him if I was requesting more commitment to him than what we currently had, which was dating each other, getting to know each other, and now having sex. He said no. I guess in hindsight the sex really impacted him - he went from being cool to stressing out.

    In the past I've jumped for more commitment much more quickly after having sex than when I was with him.. I wonder if I played it "too cool"? Either way, there was confusion, tension, lack of communication... now after we had a big ol' fight (our first one) a month ago, I broke NC last night to a neutral cup of coffee or lunch.

    Who knows if I'll get a "redo" on this or not? I will not jump out of the gates saying I want commitment right away but I will attempt to express my feelings in a nonthreatening, constructive way where both of us would grow, if he's willing to listen... :-/

  9. #9
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    49
    Posts
    993
    Gender
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by pyropinup View Post
    Hey so how true is it that a man can have sex with no emotion. At what stage does a guy allow emotions to become involved in sex?
    You've already move on from this, but still - I'm a guy, and sex is always emotional for me. You can't generalize about all men or all women on this basis.

  10. #10
    Platinum Member thejigsup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,856
    Gender
    Female
    I can have sex without attachment and I'm female. Not all women find sex only mildly pleasurable. I succeed quickly, just about every time and with and without emotional attachment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
One of the biggest causes of stress and unhappiness in life are failed relationships. Making a relationship work is one of the most important life ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It has been universally acknowledged that having a long distance relationship is not such a good idea, especially if there is no known end-date to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Some people say that when we deeply love or care about someone we automatically open the door to betrayal. I am not sure whether such statement holds ...
 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Expert Advice

Online
Call
$1.99/minute
25+ YEARS EXPERIENCE. Restore the joy of your relationship by alleviating sexual dissatisfaction, dysfunction and a wide variety of sexual challenges."generously affordable"
Online
Chat
$3.49/minute
A lot of people have trouble in their sex lives but almost all these problems can be solved. Talk with a friendly non-judgemental Therapist about it and improve your life!
Online
CallChat
$2.67/minute
Licensed MSW LCSW, Trained and mentored by Internationally known Sex Expert. 30 yrs experience. Open, safe and non-judgmental.
Online
Call
$2.2/minute
There are wide variety of sexual related issues. Ask, talk about anything;I'm very open and have helped people with large range of concerns from sexual techniques to emotional
Online
Chat
$2.39/minute
We are taught such precious little about sex and the relationship between our body and our mind. yet we are sexual beings, in physical bodies. Contact me. I can help.