Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member

my life ruined by SSRI

this post is going to be a bit of exaggeration but i'm angry, afraid, hurt and i wont shut up. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (a kind of anti depressant) is is in the process of ruining my life.

it's not over yet. i havent thrown in the towel, but right now things are bleak.

I'm not taking these medications but someone i very much love is. She recognizes the problem and will soon start weening herself off of them , but in the mean time she no longer loves me anymore. She admits that the past 3 years have been the happiest of her life, and i know they have been of mine.

I acknowledge that there are probably people out there who need these. Who have dangerous problems that need treatment or who's lives are so unbearable that any kind of side affect would seem mild next to the status quo.

But there are also people out there who are the most lovely, kind, and caring people in the entire world, whos lives may not be perfect but are still worthy of love and admiration, who are being changed by these drugs and can no longer appreciate what they once did in other people. Who are no longer capable of the emotional intimacy that made them beyond perfect, but flawed chaotic stars.

I'm sure many of you have experienced cruelty from someone who once loved you but facing it so unnecessarily seems doubly cruel.

I know this is hardly objective but I will at least bear witness to my experience.

has she consulted her doctor about the medication?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annie24 View Post
    has she consulted her doctor about the medication?
    her doctor is also on the medication and she told her she could ween herself off of it but in the long term she suggested considering a different SSRI.

she didnt tell the doctor that she stopped loving me because she was too shy but she did tell her she felt less emotion towards her dog (which is true)

Bronze Member
    i didnt even realize that it had anything to do with the medication at first other than perhaps affecting her mood temporarily, but then i found dozens and dozens of accounts of the same experience on the internet, and articles as well. It seems like these things are prescribed way too casually, and without regard to the damage it can do to peoples lives and their loved ones

Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    Are you telling us everything? Have there been problems in your relationship?

Chaotic isn't good.

Bronze Member
    on the subject of the doctor being on the meds herself, from what i can tell from people's accounts it's very difficult for the person taking the drug to see the situation from outside it's perspective. They usually never think that it has anything to do with the drug but that their relationship has just lost it's emotional spark.

Other people have made posts about how after going off of the drug (for days weeks or months, it varies) they realize in retrospect what it did to them. and regain their sexual/emotional capacities

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Firecracker View Post
    Are you telling us everything? Have there been problems in your relationship?

Chaotic isn't good.
    It depends on your perspective. Some people have emotional problems but you still love them for who they are. There are somethings that i could do better from a romantic perspective (we've talked about it) but they're the kind of flaws that would usually be brushed aside by someone in love. Most of the accounts I have read have described this very same process and researched articles as well. If a person is no longer capable or is inhibited from feeling romantic love then the persons flaws stand out a lot more and often get blamed for the situation (or seem to the person as if they are the situation). This might seem like an excuse but when many many people have gone from loving happy relationships to divorce in a a few weeks or months after taking the drugs then you can see the patterns develop. This has been recognized by researchers. You need your brain to be functioning a certain way to love someone and these drugs inhibit certain emotions.

Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    I am coming off SSRI's. It was a nice four years, I have to admit...nice and peaceful.

If I think I need to go back on them, I won't hesitate.

My husband, unlike you, LOVES me on SSRI's. He is very uneasy that I'm going to try without them. The reason I am going off them is a sexual dysfunction. It is now to the point that sex is painful. I looked up side effects and just as I suspected, this could be the problem.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Firecracker View Post
    I am coming off SSRI's. It was a nice four years, I have to admit...nice and peaceful.

If I think I need to go back on them, I won't hesitate.

My husband, unlike you, LOVES me on SSRI's. He is very uneasy that I'm going to try without them. The reason I am going off them is a sexual dysfunction. It is now to the point that sex is painful. I looked up side effects and just as I suspected, this could be the problem.
    I love my girlfriend too, it's just that she stopped loving me (She says so). At first i thought they were a good thing too because her migranes decreased and she told me that she was happier with them. But then later she told me that she wasnt happier with them and went off them briefly. I honestly confused a lot of the problems that happened when she went off them as problems caused by lack of the drug, but i realize now after reading more about it and talking to her that she felt the way she did before going off of them and that she wasnt off for long enough to regain her previous mental state. She had mood swings when she went off and I kind of talked her in to going back on (although i didnt insist on it) . And now that she's back on she had a temporarily better feeling but soon she went into health problems anxiety and revealed that she didnt love me any more (romantically). From what i understand of going off of them there is a withdrawal period, and also your sexual disfunction and emotional state will last for a varying period of time

Bronze Member
    the other thing that is suspect about the whole situation is the FDA has approved her drug only for major depression but she was being prescribed as a way to holistically treat her migraines by getting rid of her minor depression.

and now the doctor wants her on a different SRI to prevent her anxiety which she didnt experience until after she was already on the drug

also the anxiety must be at least in part related to the relationship problems we're having as a result of the drug

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...