Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Why do some women prefer the Ghetto Black Men stereotype?

I know the famous question "Why do girls like bad boys" has been answered countless of times. It's not always about being a bad boy criminal. It's about the attitude, lifestyle, and how the women is treated.

Before you continue reading this post let me tell you that this is completely based on my experience as a black man living in the south of the US.

During this current generation I feel that black men seem to have a certain standard to hold to attract women. It's mostly a very negative standard. Being a ghetto stereotype seems to attract all types of women. A below average black ghetto stereotype can pick a 10.

Now some of you wonder why I asked this question because I mention in the first paragraph about the bad boys. In my opinion being a ghetto stereotype takes the bad boy to another level. What are these stereotypes known to do? Not all ghetto stereotypes have all of these traits.

1. Drug Users- One of the negative stereotypical traits of ghetto stereotypes is very risk taking. It can lead to jail or prison time.
    2. Dead Beat Dads- More and more black children are being raised in single parents homes. This is a problem in the black community. In recent sociological studies have found that black men may have some feminine qualities because they were only raised by a mother who took on both parent roles.
    3. Clothing- Sagging pants, bagging clothing
    4. Gang Members- All street gangs have ghetto stereotypical traits.
    5. Does not know his Es and Rs.

So what about the non-stereotypical black man? Where does this leaves us? Some people rudely say to me that I am trying to be white, but I am only acting as myself. We wear more fitting clothes and have our belts above our waist. They rarely use any slang words instead they speak proper English.

Are the non-ghetto black men bad boys? Of course not. However at the same time they am not a "nice guy". We still don't kiss ass to hope a woman will like us. We have confidence and take risk by approaching women.

There are a few non-ghetto stereotypes on campus including myself. Out of the few of us only 2 get dates. They are both muscular, and one is considered the best looking guy on campus. The other guy only has muscles. He relies on his parents for money, has no hair line, and a terrible smile. So both have the athletic look working for them.

Why do some women prefer the Ghetto Black Men stereotype?

Discuss!
    Last edited by Mr. Franklin; 07-26-2010 at 06:40 PM.

As a white/hispanic woman, who has been raised by a professional father and a God-loving mother, I have never once felt I should chase after hardcore bad boy types. Excitement is something all women love, no doubt- But when I went out with this one bad boy for a little over a year, I found out that all the glitz and glamor of being with a bad boy wasn't worth all the heartbreak and pain in the end. I never chased my ex, by the way- He asked me out and I thought maybe he was going through a tough phase in his life. He is still a bad boy, but probably ten times worse. Good riddance.

I never believe in the whole "acting white/black" mentality. You are who you are. You are a productive member of society, and that suddenly makes you "white"? That doesn't make sense and in this generation, people should get over themselves and grow up. Black people should be given the opportunity to thrive on being successful people. There is a bad side to white people too; The KKK groups, the neo nazis, and the lovable and ignorant hill billies.

Be yourself OP, and ignore the haters. They're probably jealous.

definitely, the bad boy attraction is the major draw IMO.

Speaking personally, of the black men I've known during my life the one who attracted BY FAR the most ladies did not dress or act ghetto. He was just a wit and style-wise dressed in a sharp urban-chic fashion (polo's, kangol hats etc.) and simply a riot to be around.
    Remember…Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you!

I actively dislike that type because they (and their multiple children) are ruining our society, not to mention a drain on taxpayers. I know that many black men are nothing like these people and in fact have dated black professional men.

Platinum Member Cognitive_Canine's Avatar
    Honestly, I find this manner of behaviour and dress the least appealing out of all the popular trends.

Platinum Member
    I would definitely NOT be interested in this sort of person.

1. Drug Users- One of the negative stereotypical traits of ghetto stereotypes is very risk taking. It can lead to jail or prison time.
    2. Dead Beat Dads- More and more black children are being raised in single parents homes. This is a problem in the black community. In recent sociological studies have found that black men may have some feminine qualities because they were only raised by a mother who took on both parent roles.
    3. Clothing- Sagging pants, bagging clothing
    4. Gang Members- All street gangs have ghetto stereotypical traits.
    5. Does not know his Es and Rs.

The traits you have mentioned above are ones I find disgusting. Having just one of these traits would be enough to make me run for the hills.

Bronze Member
    Come on guys, don't you know that the women in forums are always the exception to the rule?

When I was younger, I was drawn to this type of man. More specifically, gang members. I was mixed in the wrong place myself. Now that I've gotten older...Scratch that, matured - There is no longer any appeal for me.

Some reasons why I was attracted? Excitement factor, naturally. Believe it or not, feeling 'protected'. This is actually really ludicrous considering there's nothing safe about it, complete opposite. Growing up where I did, I gave into the pressures of the street and it became a norm for me.

Not to mention the fact, I wasn't mentally stable in the slightest. I wouldn't have had a clue what a good man was.

Platinum Member
    As a 1/2 Black/1/4 rican/1/4 white woman(yep multiracial) I have to say that isn't my type. I do specifically date black men and latin men, but I don't go for the gang-bangers. Though a lot of my bf's have had interesting lives(many of them may have been raised in bad areas but have risen above the circumstances). I don't really see why the clothing(sagging pants) is that much of an issue though, I see it as a trend(a cultural one) the same as skinny jeans on men, and a goth look--all of these clothing styles are merely trends and not all of them are good representations of a person's character or morals. So while I don't care for men with baggy pants, I also don't judge them or write them off for having that look.
    Honestly I don't know many women that prefer this type of man, unless your in predimonent area where this type of man exists. Additionally I think that in every culture and race their is perceived "bad boy" and that nice men do tend to finish last(it appears). So I would chalk up to that(if anything) and not so much the fact that "ghetto black men" are cool, but more so that women in general when their younger tend to have a thing for bad boys--no matter the race or culture. And I don't think many sophisticated or classy women would prefer any of the types that you've described.
    College is an interesting time in your life.
    Maybe you should try to date women outside of the college experience?

When I think of "tough, black guy" (not "ghetto" persay), I think of Will Smith in "Bad Boys" (yummmm). A no BS attitude, tough, funny, sexy, flirty and smart/one step ahead. I don't equate "ghetto black guy" with druggies, dead beat dads or baggy clothes, as I think you can find "that kind of guy" almost anywhere.
    "It'll all be okay in the end....so if it's not okay, it's not the end." -Unknown

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...