when he says "let's stay in touch"

im sandra dee

what does it mean when a man says "let's stay in touch"?

two men recently said this to me

is it a brush off?

why I'd think it's a brush off, I dunno, but that's how it feels when I hear those words

it's like... we won't be seeing each other for a while.... that's my interpretation

so lets stay in touch

am I wrong?

"Let's stay in touch" is just one of those phrases people use when they have no set time frame to get together with you. It could be days, weeks, months or never before you hear from someone who says "let's stay in touch". It is just one of those meaningless things people say when they say goodbye after spending some time together. It is just very open-ended.

We could spend all day analyzing every idiom every stated... context is truly required but I would say if someone stated that to me at the end of a date it would imply...

...thanks... your nice... I enjoyed meeting you... wouldn't be against seeing you again but not really planning on it at this point...

However, if I bumped into an old friend who I hadn't seen in awhile and had a few minutes to catch up it would imply...

... oh, its so great to see you... I have really missed our times together... gee, it would be so nice to do this again if only we both didn't have such hectic schedules...

I would say if you felt like you were being brushed off then follow your instinct. You mostly likely were. Take a step back and see if this person makes an effort to contact you... if not you have your answer!

eek... the kiss of death.

If someone wants to stay in touch with you, they'll just do it... pick up the phone, email etc. but if all they do is *say* let's stay in touch, it is often a polite way of brushing you off without social conflict.

so take it seriously if you send an email or call them and they do actually keep in touch. otherwise it's just words.

If it's not a brush off and they want a second date, I'd read it as more of an indication they don't want anything serious. "Let's stay in touch" sounds to me like, "I'll get in touch with you if I'm bored and don't have anything else (or any other women) to attend to."

If it's not a brush off and they want a second date, I'd read it as more of an indication they don't want anything serious. "Let's stay in touch" sounds to me like, "I'll get in touch with you if I'm bored and don't have anything else (or any other women) to attend to."

I agree with this. Probably wouldn't say it if it was someone he felt no attraction for or def didn't want to see again.

agree... this is too polite and proper to signify it holds any depth or intention. My advice is to expect nothing. Ideally.. ALWAYS expect nothing no matter what. have low hopes and you will not be disappointed

well I do have expectations but I try to be realistic

I don't expect a marriage proposal but I do want a man who wants to be with me and only me

Archived