Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when he says "let's stay in touch"

Bronze Member

when he says "let's stay in touch"

what does it mean when a man says "let's stay in touch"?
    two men recently said this to me
    is it a brush off?
    why I'd think it's a brush off, I dunno, but that's how it feels when I hear those words
    it's like... we won't be seeing each other for a while.... that's my interpretation
    so lets stay in touch
    am I wrong?

I would take it the same way. Friends "keep in touch"....dates date.
    "It'll all be okay in the end....so if it's not okay, it's not the end." -Unknown

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Let's stay in touch" is just one of those phrases people use when they have no set time frame to get together with you. It could be days, weeks, months or never before you hear from someone who says "let's stay in touch". It is just one of those meaningless things people say when they say goodbye after spending some time together. It is just very open-ended.

We could spend all day analyzing every idiom every stated... context is truly required but I would say if someone stated that to me at the end of a date it would imply...

...thanks... your nice... I enjoyed meeting you... wouldn't be against seeing you again but not really planning on it at this point...

However, if I bumped into an old friend who I hadn't seen in awhile and had a few minutes to catch up it would imply...

... oh, its so great to see you... I have really missed our times together... gee, it would be so nice to do this again if only we both didn't have such hectic schedules...

I would say if you felt like you were being brushed off then follow your instinct. You mostly likely were. Take a step back and see if this person makes an effort to contact you... if not you have your answer!

eek... the kiss of death.

If someone wants to stay in touch with you, they'll just do it... pick up the phone, email etc. but if all they do is *say* let's stay in touch, it is often a polite way of brushing you off without social conflict.

so take it seriously if you send an email or call them and they do actually keep in touch. otherwise it's just words.

yup, a brush off.

Bronze Member
    both men who said "let's stay in touch" seem to want a second date

personally I can't stand the use of "let's stay in touch"
    but perhaps I'm over-analyzing what it means
    time will tell what it means to each of them

If it's not a brush off and they want a second date, I'd read it as more of an indication they don't want anything serious. "Let's stay in touch" sounds to me like, "I'll get in touch with you if I'm bored and don't have anything else (or any other women) to attend to."
    Grammar nerds are sexy [http://grammaniac.com]

Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobot View Post
    If it's not a brush off and they want a second date, I'd read it as more of an indication they don't want anything serious. "Let's stay in touch" sounds to me like, "I'll get in touch with you if I'm bored and don't have anything else (or any other women) to attend to."

I agree with this. Probably wouldn't say it if it was someone he felt no attraction for or def didn't want to see again.

agree... this is too polite and proper to signify it holds any depth or intention. My advice is to expect nothing. Ideally.. ALWAYS expect nothing no matter what. have low hopes and you will not be disappointed
    "Just because not everyone complains, doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect" Benny Hill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...